Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #1 
Terranariko

Critter keepers as tanks?

I've seen a petshop use critter keepers as betta fish tanks...is this ok?

I wanna know if I can get a medium size one, and how many gallons it is...if it's around 1.5-2+ gallons it's ok to use for a betta fish right?

mediums aren't the tiny tiny ones, their at least a gallon, maybe more...I'm not quite sure.
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
dr2b

They make good betta homes. The medium size is 2.5 gallons. You do need to change the water more frequently since it is 2.5 gallon and not filtered... but yeah they are good homes. I use one as a hospital tank to be honest :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
They make good betta homes. The medium size is 2.5 gallons. You do need to change the water more frequently since it is 2.5 gallon and not filtered... but yeah they are good homes. I use one as a hospital tank to be honest :)
Oh that doesn't seem as bad as I though...2.5 gallons is pretty close to berrys tank...his is 2.65 gallons...So basicly...I can get that for the new boy.

thats good to know then...do you know around what price medium critter keepers go for? They where to high for me to see the price...D= Im so short...lulz.

I would of asked the petshop owner...if he didn't look so much like Robin Williams...I swear when I first entered that store and saw the owner I was like..."Omg...robin williams owns a pet store." Anyway...(btw I don't dislike that actor...it's just I'm a horrible people person. D=)

Good to know that those tanks work.

Now the hardest choice is picking from the wonderful betta's I saw...D= they had like 5 that where colored so weird and interestingly...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #4 
Jayy

Yes, They make great homes!!! I have three and I might get more!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #5 
dr2b

I think they are like 10 bucks? Something like that.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 
Jayy

Mine were $12.99 at Petco. I think it really depends on where you go.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #7 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Mine were $12.99 at Petco. I think it really depends on where you go.

I think I saw something like 15-20 dollars...not sure...

Also can I put a shell for a hide? it's like a conch shell but it's broken in a way that it seems to make a nice hide, it's big enough that they wont get stuck, and I could fill any little space with some rocks/gravel. And it's big enough for a betta fish to hide in it...

Also are long or short silk plants better for bettas?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #8 
secuono

You can find extra large online, they are real big. I forgot how many gallons since it was far cheaper for me to get a reg. 10gal.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #9 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
You can find extra large online, they are real big. I forgot how many gallons since it was far cheaper for me to get a reg. 10gal.
I can't order it online unfortunately...=/ so I'm stuck with whatever I can find.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #10 
RandomFish

I read on a review somewhere that the Large holds about 3.5 gallons. But when you do the calculations, its volume is about 1,237 cubic inches, which is equivalent to 5.35 gallons if filled to the brim. Seems like a very sensible buy, considering the price.

Fishbert arrived in a Small. It's actually quite durable.....after moving him into his aquarium, I've been using the Keeper to hold pebbles and it's withstood quite a bit of abuse.

Thanks, secuono, for mentioning the Extra Large! That's really good to know, I'd love to have one (or more!) on hand. I Googled it just now and it's 15.875" x 8.375" x 12.083" so it holds 6.95 gallons if filled to the brim....so I guess that would be about 5.5 to 6 gallons when holding a heater, filter, substrate & decor...? There's a site that sells them for $13.47 each including shipping if you buy a set of 4. I could defintely go for that!

Last edited by RandomFish; 06-19-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote