Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 
Terranariko

One of the hardest betta related choices of my life...

Today I visited the petshop where I got berry...and like I said the wild colored one that I thought got over his fin ripps was there...but I also saw 3 more bettas that looked stunning to me.

Problem is...I can only take one...and I know the wild colored one deserves a good home...but after looking at his fins closer...it doesn't look like he'll survive it...from what I saw just by a glance and actually looking at his fins was far diffrent. His fin spines are completely seperated at points and most likely will not grow back normally...actually his top fin is slanted sideways from where it grew. And he seems a lot less active...

The other bettas are discribed as this.

One of them kinda had a piepald face but the body was a shining lavander color(like it's really shiny when he turns in the light) while the tail was mostly neon green.

Another one was mostly blue/neon blue, but a tiny bit of diffrent neon colors.

And the other one had a peach-ish body with blue-ish silver fins that are shiny.

Now...the choice I have to make...take pity on the betta that will most likely die in a short time...or save one of the three that are a lot more healthier from their tiny tanks...

It's a hard choice to make...it really is...I have no idea what I'm gonna do now...Most likely the one with the broken and messed up fins will die...even If I do get him.

What am I going to do...;-;
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Get the wild one.
As I've mentioned before-
the prettiest ones get taken by other people, simply because they are the nicest bettas in the shop and... well, they are pretty, while the not-so-prefered ones- for example, with damaged fins, not as nice colors, and re-grown fins, are not picked, and spend the rest of their lives in cups- they will not last more than a year, at most. Probably a few months.
The wild one has re-grown fins, which, yes, are not as nice, but he will probably never get picked, while the pretty ones will.
So I say get the wild one! He'll live a good life and probably recover well.
I went to Petsmart yesterday, and there was a purple female, a pineapple boy, an orange boy, and a gorgeous peach dal- and then, there was a purple boy with clear fins. I chose the purple boy (Marmaduke, my avatar) because he was sick, laying at the bottom of his cup, and not as pretty as the other ones.

Another example...
Just because he doesn't look so well, doesn't mean he won't survive with you. Look at my two boys, Marmaduke and Spiridion- they were both lying at the bottom of their cups, extremely pale. They are much better- normal, active, healthy bettas now!

Even if he might have an illness of some sort, it is extremely satisfying to see that betta recover in your care. I have 3 parasitic bettas (Spiridion, Marmaduke, and Tallulah-Faye) who I all got with parasites, and they are all almost recovered- except for Marmaduke, who I got yesterday. But even he has shown some improvement in the short day that I've had him!

So I say get the wild one.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 06-17-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #3 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Get the wild one.
As I've mentioned before-
the prettiest ones get taken by other people, simply because they are the nicest bettas in the shop and... well, they are pretty, while the not-so-prefered ones- for example, with damaged fins, not as nice colors, and re-grown fins, are not picked, and spend the rest of their lives in cups- they will not last more than a year, at most. Probably a few months.
The wild one has re-grown fins, which, yes, are not as nice, but he will probably never get picked, while the pretty ones will.
So I say get the wild one! He'll live a good life and probably recover well.
I went to Petsmart yesterday, and there was a purple female, a pineapple boy, an orange boy, and a gorgeous peach dal- and then, there was a purple boy with clear fins. I chose the purple boy (Marmaduke, my avatar) because he was sick, laying at the bottom of his cup, and not as pretty as the other ones.

Another example...
Just because he doesn't look so well, doesn't mean he won't survive with you. Look at my two boys, Marmaduke and Spiridion- they were both lying at the bottom of their cups, extremely pale. They are much better- normal, active, healthy bettas now!

So I say get the wild one.
I know I so want to get it...but like I mentioned the petstore isn't a popular one, it's personally run and owned by someone...he even admited his betta's where around a few months to up to a year old. So no matter which one I pick it is saveing a life of a betta from those tiny bowls.

Also just cause their pretty to me, doesn't mean their pretty, I just find them interesting cause of the odd colors, truthfully their most likely rejects of some breeding experiment.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

I know, but the wild one is most likely to die, if you say he's looking bad. Hide the nice ones in the back and come back when you have another tank. XD
I know, but they sound awfully pretty, so I'm sure other people would find them pretty.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 
Jayy

I agree get the sick one! Two of my three were in nasty water and I thought that they were waaay to handsome to be in those conditions. So it's alot better for him to have a nice home and not have to live in that bowl for the rest of his life. Atleast he would have died in a nice clean tank.

I also agree about hiding the beautiful bettas in the back. I do that all the time when I can't get a betta or bettas that I want at that moment.

Last edited by Jayy; 06-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 
Terranariko

Quote:
I know, but the wild one is most likely to die, if you say he's looking bad. Hide the nice ones in the back and come back when you have another tank. XD
I know, but they sound awfully pretty, so I'm sure other people would find them pretty.
...I guess it all depends...it's gonna be a hard choice...D= you wont hate me if I don't get the wild type will you?...;-;
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Lol no, I wouldn't. It's your choice, but I personally would get the wild one.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #8 
Terranariko

Quote:
Lol no, I wouldn't. It's your choice, but I personally would get the wild one.
if I could figure out how to ship them...I could get it and send it to you...XD jk...I'm sure you have enough of em.

Anyway...truthfully I'm thinking of getting the shiny lavander/green one...but I dunno I guess I'll have to see at the petshop.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, SHIP HIM TO ME! I'LL PAY FOR EVERYTHING!
Oh, I wish.... XD
Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #10 
Terranariko

Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, SHIP HIM TO ME! I'LL PAY FOR EVERYTHING!
Oh, I wish.... XD
D= I wish I could do that too...then he'd have a much better owner.

>.< this choice is so hard...it's like picking from conjoined twins which one should be aborted to save the other one when they are born...D+

ok maybe not that harsh but similar...D=