Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #1 
52cherish

Sorority: feeding issue

How can I make sure all the ladies in our sorority get their fair share when feeding time rolls around? Jolly Roger our blue CT bully and the smallest always ends up with a humongous belly and Violet looks more starved each day. I tried to lure her to the back where the heater is located and squeezed some pebbles and flakes in there, but by the time Violet makes up her mind to take a bite the other three ladies are there and gobbling everything up.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You can use a net and balance it so that it is still in the tank with the aggressive female in it during feeding time.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #3 
52cherish

Thanks, I thought about cupping her which seemed a little too harsh and stressing. I like the net idea and will use it tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #4 
gahcrazy

Thats a good ideal. The net thing. there was a time when i would scoupe up the ones that wasn't getting food and feed seperately. But If you got the patiance, what i do is get thier attention and drop one pellet infront of one and when she takes off after it, most of the others will follow, find one of the girls that busy watching u and feed that one a pellet, and so on. then i throw in some flake for good measure. But maybe i just got more time on my hands than you do, lol p.s. that way of feeding takes quick responce time on your behalf! when it comes to eating, my girls are Serious
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 
52cherish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahcrazy View Post
Thats a good ideal. The net thing. there was a time when i would scoupe up the ones that wasn't getting food and feed seperately. But If you got the patiance, what i do is get thier attention and drop one pellet infront of one and when she takes off after it, most of the others will follow, find one of the girls that busy watching u and feed that one a pellet, and so on. then i throw in some flake for good measure. But maybe i just got more time on my hands than you do, lol p.s. that way of feeding takes quick responce time on your behalf! when it comes to eating, my girls are Serious
They follow my hand movements pretty good... almost like dogs in agility training. Just the one seems to be a picky eater... she is also the one never swallowing a bloodworm. She takes them in her mouth and then releases. The pellets are usually nibbled on until they are gone or one of the other females snaps it away from her. I will be using the net tomorrow and see that she eats. Hope there isn't anything wrong with her mouth or digestive system.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #6 
gahcrazy

My guess is she is still small, still picky. My smallest girl was like that about everything i fed her. not so picky any more. After months of smashing pellets, smashing flakes , bloodworms etc.. she now con handle most food without help. I'm Glad too.
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote