DBanana

Exactly. That fish looks old and tired.
DBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #8672 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
It is sad, I also think he has the look of a old fish to me, I could be totally wrong on that, but if dragon scale takes a while to cover eyes, then he could also be older than advertised and the breeder is just trying to move on a old blind fish, I know I sound harsh, but this person isn't in it for the love of fish, to sell one on like that.
Hate to break it to you but almost all of the breeders/sellers in Thailand aren't in it for the love of fish, they are in it for the money :-/

As for his scaling, he is still young. Some Dragons the scaling grows in faster than others depending on their genetics. It's the same reason why some humans grow faster than others or taller than others; genetics and a little bit of their environment! So for these guys, their scales have grown in pretty fast it seems and then covered his eye, so yes, he is still young as the seller says he is, it's just that his scales grew in pretty fast. Sorry I didn't clear that earlier I think.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #8673 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hang on a sec!!!!!

Watch his video! He is reacting to the other fish on the side of him! I just looked back at his pictures and noticed he flared which could be the result of him hearing a sound but he is visibly following and reacting to the other fish which means he can see! Most likely it's almost like sunglasses for him, everything is tinted white though or blue-ish in color. I did think that was weird when I first saw him, scaling will be totally opaque, not transparent. It is scaling over his eyes but he can still see, generally though even if it is a fast scaling over the eye, it is opaque no matter how fast it grows in, super weird that his is still transparent because you don't normally see the pupil still.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #8674 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Hang on a sec!!!!!

Watch his video! He is reacting to the other fish on the side of him! I just looked back at his pictures and noticed he flared which could be the result of him hearing a sound but he is visibly following and reacting to the other fish which means he can see! Most likely it's almost like sunglasses for him, everything is tinted white though or blue-ish in color. I did think that was weird when I first saw him, scaling will be totally opaque, not transparent. It is scaling over his eyes but he can still see, generally though even if it is a fast scaling over the eye, it is opaque no matter how fast it grows in, super weird that his is still transparent because you don't normally see the pupil still.
But the tank is so small how can you not just think he is turning into the side and at one point he does just go and sit in the middle, and if you listen you hear the camera person tapping on the glass to make him move again.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #8675 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah but how would he know the fish are there? He clearly reacts to the boy on his right our left there when they flare.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #8676 
DBanana

Ok, I went in to watch the video expecting him to be reacting. What I saw him do was go up against the glass when another fish happened to be flaring there. I saw no reaction to the fish next to him. What I saw was him turn sharply to find a surface he could use to guide himself with his nose.

The fact that there was another fish next door flaring at him is related to the fact that he's surrounded by flaring fish, in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #8677 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, but he also flares at the first fish on our right as well. Why would a blind fish flare? They flare to ward off intruders or dance to lure a mate, they don't just flare because they can, at least not that I'm aware of and if anyone has anything different about that, do share.

You can see he follows the second fish as well, just because he sits in the middle doesn't mean that he's totally blind. I'm agreeing that his vision is obviously impaired but I don't believe he is totally blind yet and I also don't doubt he won't become blind in the near future but for the moment he isn't totally blind yet.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #8678 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have to agree with lil. He very obviously follows the fish on the left and is aware of it's presence.

Would you rather they kill it?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #8679 
DBanana

I'd rather they took care of a fish they've had that has special needs, find a home of a sophisticated person or take care of it themselves rather than lying about it and foisting it off on someone who's naive and not sophisticated enough to know better. That's the same as killing it, it's just going to be slowly.

Last edited by DBanana; 03-08-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #8680 
LittleBettaFish

Haha somehow I don't think that is going to happen, and you really don't know how old the fish is. Most breeders in Asian countries want to move stock on ASAP. For a lot of them, it's their business and it is poor business practice to have stock that is at best sitting around taking up space, and at worst costing money.

You have to remember that life in a lot of these countries is very different from life in the US, Canada, Australia, England etc. I personally do not agree with the breeding and sale of such fish, but at the same time I am not going to judge too harshly.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this