Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 
LisArtist

Thank you for our happy fish!

Hello Bettafish.com! Thank you so much for helping us start our new tank! I find myself here daily, checking on one thing or another. Thanks to your advice, insight, and enthusiasm, our betta fish is living the good life!

Last Saturday we listened to your advice on picking out a betta fish and sorted Max the Million from his pet shop brethren. He was inquisitive and friendly and tracked us throughout the sorting process. He won us over, even though his head is so dark we cannot see his eyes!

We set up our gift Aquafarm, following its instructions since we are trying our hand at aquaponics, not just an aquarium. We would probably have been better off listening to your advice, but Max is doing all right as we blunder our way through the cycling process.

This week I have spent many hours here, learning about aquariums, about betta fish, and about how you love your fish! Daily, Max's environment has been improved to provide the best habitat we can give him in a 3 gallon tank. He helps us along because he is a pretty communicative fish about what he likes and what he doesn't like. Thanks to you he loves his Hydor Theo heater, his Marimo algae ball, and that we bought a test kit to monitor his water to keep him alive through the cycling process. He shows us the one object in his tank that he disapproves of - an H2Show LED tank light we placed in his tank so that we can see him in the evening. Anytime we want to remove light that would be fine by him. We should probably remove his current ceramic log and switch to a terra-cotta cave. We will rotate it out later, to keep him curious.

I made a hammock from a silk plant leaf and our little betta curls up promptly at 9pm and wonders why we don't do the same. Fortunately with the time change his bedtime will be 10pm, and he will likely get his wish.

The cycling process is still baffling us. But we are documenting everything in a fish journal and have charts spread out on the counter. Our friends are giggling at us, but Max the Million approves. And the herb garden growing on his tank continues to thrive. Hopefully soon there will be nitrates for the plants to remove (unless they are already scouring the waste, since our nitrite and nitrate levels have been 0ppm the last two days).

Loving our fish! Bettas are fun! Sorry if the photos are sideways, not sure what to do about that!
Attached Images

LisArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to you and Max the Million

Love his name! He is a real beauty too!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #3 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum! Glad that you found your perfect betta, he's quite a handsome fellow!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #4 
Morguex

Max is a beauty
Morguex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #6 
BettaCulture

Welcome to the forum :)
BettaCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #7 
NanaBeams

I am actually cycling my Aquafarm. You might find it useful to follow my thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=369082

I added sponges and biomax to my Aquafarm to help with cycling.
NanaBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #8 
LisArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaBeams View Post
I am actually cycling my Aquafarm. You might find it useful to follow my thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=369082

I added sponges and biomax to my Aquafarm to help with cycling.
Thanks, I will follow your thread! I should really start a journal on this site, but am intimidated by the commitment. ;)
LisArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #9 
NanaBeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisArtist View Post
Thanks, I will follow your thread! I should really start a journal on this site, but am intimidated by the commitment. ;)
I know what you mean! I feel like I should have posted it under a different section now. lol
NanaBeams is offline   Reply With Quote