Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Weather emergency?!?!!?!?

There could be possible tornando warnings here....The weather is getting pretty bad......If something does happen is there anything I can do for Alexander?!?!!?!?
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I understand, we just went through tornado last month and lost electric for a week...no fun.....
First....take care of yourself.....and keep safe
For the fish, unplug everything if you loose electric and if you have a filter and the electric is off for more than 8 hours, dump the water in it and give it a good rinse and expect a min-cycle and need to make frequent water changes. Don't feed while the electric is off.
If you have to go into the tornado shelter, you can put the Betta in a container with a lid and take him with you....but save yourself first...you can't be replaced and the fish can........
Grab the dog and go to safely.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Thanks It's a hard dureing all this bad weather :[ I just hope nothing really bad happens! Should I turn everything off right now? As we do not have warnings yet but if the weather worsens we will....What do you think?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Wow, that's really scary! I would wait until you see warnings on the TV or hear it on the radio, than I'd unplug everything.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would wait, unless you are leaving to go to shelter and then I would go ahead and un-plug everything to be safe. If the sirens go off or the electric starts to surge and you have time un-plug and get to safety.

I dread the tornado season and hearing the sirens.........one hit a little over 2 miles from my house last month and destroyed the lake marina and 7 miles the other direction a store was hit and destroyed.....I live on bottom land and my house is backed up to a hill so I pray that if one comes my way it will bounce over me like the last one 10 years ago...cause I don't have a storm shelter and no way to get to one.....

Be safe......
Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #6 
Alexanderismylife

Thanks for the advice :] I dread the season too as we have horses....We also live at the bottom of the hill and right next to the sirens...The one thing I hate about summer...Hopefully the bad weather will pass...

~~Kayla
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I hear that, a week or so ago we had a really bad hail storm and my poor ole horse tried to run from it and all he had to do was go in the barn and some of the cat did too....I was watching out the door and cats scattered when the hail hit the barn and the horse took off to the back twenty....you provide the shelter and they don't use it.....silly animals.......but in a tornado you want the animals especially horses and cattle to be out in the open.......much safer for them most of the time unless they only have a small corral to run in and then its a rock and a hard place decision and pray the barn is not hit......cause you don't want them going through the wire or fence and get injured.....I dread storms......

Oh my....I think I am watching your weather on TV right now..........
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #8 
Alexanderismylife

:[ Yeah It's pretty bad out here. My horse Dreamer absoutly HATES thunder...We have 3 barns one is empty though because we used to have around 20 horses but then we had to sell most of them as we didn't have enough time any more for all of them to get enough attention...The cattle don't seemed to be bothered though...Agh I just wish the bad weather would leave all ready....
Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #9 
KristiLee

I know the storms are passed, but I’ll tell you what I did with Henry. I live in Steele County in southern Minnesota so I know exactly what you’re talking about.

Henry currently lives in a 2.5 gal, heated, filtered tank (however since I am in need of new filter cartridges, his tank is unfiltered for the time being).

Obviously, 2.5 gal of water is a little too heavy to be carrying down the stairs. Luckily, I’ve kept his 2 old tanks, one of them being a 1 gal. So, I just transferred water, gravel, and a plant from his 2.5 into the 1 gal. Then I put him in the 1 gal and carried him downstairs until the storm passed.
(While transferring the water, I had him in the small Tupperware container I keep him in when I do water changes so I he didn’t get hurt.)

The main downside to that was since I did not want anything plugged in for obvious reasons, I couldn’t put the heater in the 1 gal, or have the light on. So the temperature ended up dropping from 78* to 71* in just a few hours. It’s a good thing Henry’s extremely hardy when it comes to temperature changes.

I’d recommend getting a 1 gal (or even a gal since it’s only temporary) tank/ container with holes in the lid and just keep it around for whenever there’s an emergency. Just be prepared for some pretty drastic temperature changes. Hopefully Alexander is just as hardy =].

By the way, how did everything go? Is fishy ok?
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote