Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #1 
curlycue82

Exclamation New Betta Owner

I recently purchased a fish tank for my daughters birthday. It's a 5 gallon tank and I've added rocks, silk plants and a hollow log that sits on the bottom of the tank. I added water conditioner and let the water filter for several days before I added her male betta, Sheldon. I added him yesterday morning (Saturday). At first he would stay near the top of the tank and would rarely siwm down towards the bottom. He could see his reflection on the side of the tank, but didn't flare or try to attack it. I've tried feeding him twice and he never gets the food. It has eventually floated down to the rocks and he still hasn't touched it. Last night when I went to bed, he was under the hollow log and this morning he is still in the same place. He moves around and when I move my finger in front of the tank, he backs up but stays under the log. I'm very new to owning a betta and fish in general for that matter. Is this normal behavior for a betta fish? Is there anything I need to do, change, etc? There is no heater in the fish tank but the water is at 77.6 degrees fahrenheit. There is a light on in the tank and the filter does not produce much of a current. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
curlycue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Give him a few days to a week to get adjusted. Many times bettas take a while before they feel comfortable in their new homes enough to eat and be social. He needs time to establish the tank as his territory. You can make his transition easier by not keeping the light on very long during the day. Keeping the tank dark will make him feel less stressed.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 
beta novice

for one you need a heater for him
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #4 
curlycue82

Thank you. When I purchased the betta, the salesman said as long as the water remains between 72 and 82 degrees then I shouldn't need a heater. A lot of websites that I have checked say to keep the water between 75 and 80. I just checked the water tempreture and it is 77.8 right now. I don't see why I need to add a heater if the temperature is within the normal range? Is 72-82 not the normal range?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

The normal range is 76-82. Personally I say 78-82 is best. As long as your temperature is stable at 77* you should be fine. Once winter comes you may want to reconsider getting a heater though.

Having a heater that is adjustable is also recommended in case your betta gets sick and requires higher or lower temperatures for treatment.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #6 
curlycue82

Alright. Thank you so much for your advice. If his water falls below 77 degrees, I will get him a heater. Hopefully he gets used to his new home soon :)
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #7 
beta novice

see you will need one
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote