Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #1 
FrankyBZN

New to betta community

Good day All,

Im new to this site and fish keeping.

I bought a 2 FT fish tank this weekend 61 x 31.5x 30 cm (I stand to be corrected on the dimensions). I also bought a Heater, Filter, Light and ffitting, Gravel, some water treatment products and a Digital Thermo.

Ive attached pictures of my tank atm no fish or plants have been added yet.

My plan is to add some live plants and 1 Betta, 4 or 5 Cories, 2 Snails, 2 Shrimp and 4 or 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 4 or 5 Chilli Rasboras.

Im not to sure if this is to many fish or if they are compatible with Betta's?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

FrankyBZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

Hi, and welcome to the forum, it used to be so many inches of fish per square meter, but I cant remember what that figure was, but found this web site that you add your tank dimensions and it tells you how many inches of fish you can add to your tank. When you calculate the fish's inch you measure the fish from tip of nose to where his tail meets, you don't measure the tail in the length. And you should try to go on the size of what a fish will grow to and not what he currently is.
http://www.howmanyfish.com/#page=page-1

Also when you start adding your fish you will need to have test kits on hand to keep an eye on your water quality. Liquid Ammonia and Nitrite test kits I recommend as a must, if you read the tank cycling section in the basic info section that will help you understand the cycle process of a new tank.

Good luck with your set up.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #3 
Warhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyBZN View Post
Good day All,

My plan is to add some live plants and 1 Betta, 4 or 5 Cories, 2 Snails, 2 Shrimp and 4 or 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 4 or 5 Chilli Rasboras.

Looking at your list that might be over stocked. What is your filter rated for? It sounds like that's a 15gallon tank so if you got a filter rated for 20 you can be a little over stocked but that's in a gray area and most don't risk it.

Use the link beautiful betta posted to be sure. Maybe you could do 3 of each of the Cory, minnows and rasboras and not 5. I don't know enough about the minnows or rasboras to tell you if they like smaller or large groups.

Good luck. And ask any question we are here to help.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #5 
RedneckPoodle

Here's a nifty lil tool, add the dimensions of your tank, power of your filter then add the fish, it will pop up with warnings if any fish are incompatible, and will tell you how stocked your tank is, and how much water you should change per week.

Although it gives good info, I wouldn't stock your tank over 80%, the more fish the more maintenance is required. (it also may be a good estimate tool but may not be fool proof)

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I've also heard not to add more than one type of shoaling fish without having a large ammount of room for them to swim about, might not be true if you have smaller groups of the fish though?
RedneckPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #6 
FrankyBZN

Hi guys thanks so much for the warm welcome and advice.

@RedneckPoodle I went on the site but they did not list my Filter so i selected user defined and inputted the power of it on the box its says MAX 1000l/h. I will attach a pic of the filter.
After adding my 17 fish (1 betta splenden, 4 pygmy cory, 1 apple snail, 1 ghost shrimp, 5 chilli rasbora, 5 white cloud mountain minnow) i got the following results:

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 949%.
Recommended water change schedule: 24% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 67%

Not sure if its good or not?

If any other feedback can be given id appreciate it. ps the list of fish I got off this website: http://bettacare101.com/tankmates/
Attached Images

Last edited by FrankyBZN; 03-04-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #7 
beautiful Betta

I think the good rule is not to rely on the filter capability too much, you have to think if there were power cuts, filter packs up etc, your fish could end up lacking in oxygen levels in the water, you can go over a little because of filter but I would be wary of going over too much.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #8 
RedneckPoodle

You should be good since most people plan on a 10-30% weekly water change, maybe calculate it without the filter to have an idea of what to do if your filter craps out. I like to keep.my changes below 50% just to ensure the bacteria isn't messed with too much, if you calculate it without a filter and you're still below 50% you should be great.
RedneckPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #9 
FrankyBZN

Hi guys

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Here is a pic of my tank with some plants in it. I am going to add a bit more and some more gravel and in a few weeks I will get my fish in.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #10 
FrankyBZN

Hi guys and girls

Here is a update picture on my tank and how its looking after planting some plants last week. On thursday it would be a week since I planted. I will introduce a few more plants this week hopefully and some fish maybe in the next 2 weeks.
Attached Images