Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 
creamcookie

Darn background!!!!

I just got a new background for my 10 gal, and put it on. Well, I believe it is reflective because my betta continually flares at it. Its been about 10 min now, and he hasn't stopped except for when I fed him. Should I remove it, or will he get used to it? Thats a shame if I have to remove it, its a nice background.
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I say leave it. That's pretty typical when something new is introduced to your tank (depending on the betta). I've gone through it to and when they figure out that there's no threat, they usually stop the flaring.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #3 
dr2b

I couldn't put tank backgrounds on Flair's tank when he was alive. No matter how long I left it on the tank... he'd stay at the back wall and not even come out for food. He was obsessed with the background. I found the only way I can put a background on the tank is if it is cardstock or poster paper.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
creamcookie

However, I can see my own reflection in it when light is refelcted off it, does that mean my betta can see himself and thinks it is anotheerr betta so he always flares? I know its bad if he continually flares because that stresses him out. How long will it take for him to get used to it?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5 
JKfish

Sometimes, if the tank is in a relatively dark area, and you turn on the light over the tank, the walls become relfective. It might stop reflecting if you move it a better lit part of your house.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #6 
creamcookie

Oh, after a day or two he stopped flaring at the background. The background is facing directly opposite to the window, which is probably the reason he could see himself. But he stopped, so I didn't have to move anything!:)
Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #7 
JKfish

that's good to know :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote