Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #21 
lindy62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGranny View Post
I have owned Betta's on and off for 20 years.
I have 7 beauties, Mr.Blue, Ghetto, Betty, Teeny, Sunny, Deadguy, dead 2.
I rescue Betta's from our local Walmart and the last two names tell you what bad shape they were in when I brought them home. But they are thriving now :)

My father was an award winning breeder of guppies and he bred many other fish, I got my love for tropical fish from him.

I love betta's they have a wonderful personality.
I think I belonged to this site many years ago, its very informative and I love looking at everyone's pictures
Hi there BettaGranny, love your name! I think that's awesome that you rescue Bettas. So glad to hear the two you mentioned being really bad off are doing great now, that is so awesome! I believe we humans are to care for the animals on this planet not use and abuse them. I have a soft spot for rescuers of all kinds of animals, it really takes a special kind of person to do that, it is a gift. Hey I used to have guppies but did not have luck with them, they never lasted long, but I loved them! I have also had oscars, and goldfish. I love fishes with personalities obviously! Yes the pictures are great! I have insomnia sometimes and will just peruse the pictures when I'm up in the middle of the night!
lindy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #22 
tiffanylucky

Bloodworms are only cost around $2.50, you get a bunch of them. Yeah Petco sells them, I live 5 min from one, that's where I stock up on stuff for my bettas.
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #23 
lindy62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanylucky View Post
Bloodworms are only cost around $2.50, you get a bunch of them. Yeah Petco sells them, I live 5 min from one, that's where I stock up on stuff for my bettas.
Ok thanks I will be sure to get some this week when I go there for all my pet supplies (also have a cat & guinea pig!) Looking forward to seeing what Rusty can do!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #24 
LurkerMom

welcome to both of you!
Rusty is very nice!
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #25 
lindy62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerMom View Post
welcome to both of you!
Rusty is very nice!
Hi and thanks LurkerMom! Your Betta in your avatar is quite beautiful too, love the touches of blue on the fins!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #26 
daniella3d

That's a very cute betta you got there! Hope he will live long and he surely look like he's got the best little home!
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #27 
lindy62

Thanks daniella3d! He really does have a ton of personality, very active, sweet and playful!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #28 
lindy62

Had a little scare with Rusty's fins, right after my last post I noticed that they had gotten all ripped up from the plant I put in (a real one), as it was very stiff and had a rough texture to the leaf surfaces. I did not realize that it would rip his fins, as it was a real plant so I thought it was safe. I replaced it with another real plant with smoother leaves, changed Rusty's water daily, and made sure his temp was 82 - 84 degrees...learned all that from this wonderful website! His fins are healing nicely and his energy and personality are back! I feel so relieved and happy....like a good fish mom LOL. I also improved his food thanks to this website. Did not realize Hikari was junk and so I read the ingredients...duh, I feed myself and my cat only the best, and didn't even double check the fish food! So now I have him eating OMega 3 pellets. Oh and I found out he LOVES bloodworms, probably like most Bettas! So hopefully he WILL live a long happy little Betta life and keep making me smile every day!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #29 
daniella3d

Hikari is junk?? really? that's what I give my betta. It's made especially for bettas and I thought Hikari was best quality food. wow, I am surprised. My betta love that food though.

How big are the Omega 3 pellets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy62 View Post
Did not realize Hikari was junk and so I read the ingredients...duh, I feed myself and my cat only the best, and didn't even double check the fish food! So now I have him eating OMega 3 pellets. Oh and I found out he LOVES bloodworms, probably like most Bettas! So hopefully he WILL live a long happy little Betta life and keep making me smile every day!
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #30 
lindy62

Hi daniella3d, sorry for the delayed response, I am no longer getting notifications of posts to this thread for some reason and I just found your reply! Yes I too thought Hikari was the best, but I learned that the ingredients, especially the first ingredients, should be whole foods, like salmon, etc., not "meal" or "grains". I learned this years ago with my cat's food....so why I didn't read the label for Rusty's food too, I don't know. But I'm smarter now! :)

For comparison, here are the ingredients in Hikari Betta Bio Gold:
Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Flaked Corn, Wheat Germ Meal, Spirulina, Krill Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast. Here are most of the ingredients in Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, which I have switched to: Whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, wheat flour, wheat gluten, fresh kelp, astaxanthin, lecithin,... and then an assortment of vitamins. But note the first ingredients.

Since giving Rusty the Omega One pellets, he has bounded back from his tail "emergency" and is on the mend, and has even grown some! He is so excited about his pellets that lately he has started "attacking" them (almost jumping out of the water) and then flaring while eating the first couple, and then he swims fast around the tank while chewing them! LOL! He's so cute and fun to watch. And I feel better about giving him the higher quality pellets. They aren't 100% pure and perfect, but they are better quality than Hikari in my opinion, and Rusty's thriving on them - he is my living proof. I highly recommend them!