Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #161 
BettaLover1313

Glad that you and your boys made it to Colorado safe and sound!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #162 
TiffanyP

Thank you BL1313!

So far everything is going well with my boys :)

Yoshi is living happily in his 5 gallon home - after losing nearly all of his color on the 14 hour drive here, after about 5 minutes out of the container they were carried in, he colored right up! We literally watched him go from see thru grey, to his usual black. He's been acting his normal self and I think he's enjoying the softer mountain water (as are the others!)

Alaric is doing well - he's his feisty usual self after being pretty mad at me for the long drive lol He's begun to flare at me more often too when I go peek at his tank, though he doesn't have a beard. Is that normal?

Nemo is doing well, he's taken to flaring at his reflection in the tank, which is pretty cute if I do say so myself.

Gilly's the only one who's had some adjustment issues. He's been nipping at his tail just enough to make it bleed at the ends :( I've put some stress coat in the water and I think that's been helping him as it doesn't seem as bad as it was. He also waited longer than the other boys to start eating again.

Today I went out on my own for the first time to explore and find the nearest Petco/Petsmart as it's always nice to know where they are in the case I should need something. It turned out that Petsmart is closest to me, so I drove there with the intention of going and just seeing the layout of the store. Well - we all know how the story goes lol I stopped at the betta shelves and was looking them over. There was a white and orange butterfly VT that I sort of fell in love with, but then over on the shelf with the halfmoons on it, there was one lone cup shoved all the way to the back. I pulled it out and there's this poor lil dude all clamped up and breathing heavy at the bottom. My heart just broke for him as 99% of the other ones looked at least halfway healthy. I calculated my resources and figured that the purchase of a small tank and a cave wouldn't hurt my budget any, and since I had rocks and plants and a heater at home already - he was coming home with me. He's a halfmoon and a very interesting color. I'll wait to say definitively what color he is until he's warmed up and in clean water, but right now he looks opalescent green with some red and white in him too... hard to explain. I hope that he'll perk up and eat for me as he's very very skinny :( His pectoral fins have some little tears in them so he's got stress coat in his water. He's been acclimating to the new water and warming up a little bit and I think he'll be ready to be unleashed here in a few moments. He's in a 1 gallon, something of a hospital tank, for the time being, if he lives and thrives he'll be upgraded to a 5 gallon or a split 10 gallon with Alaric :) Wish me the best as he really just doesn't look well :( Also I think his name is going to be Beenz!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #163 
BettaLover1313

I hope he pulls through, and I'm glad you rescued him! Sounds like he could be a diamond in the rough!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #164 
TiffanyP

Well, here's my Lil Beenz!

Yesterday he spent most of the day sitting at the bottom of the tank, struggling to get to the top to breathe. He did eat for me though! And he ate again for me today and was swimming around a little bit when I went and checked on him just now. It doesn't seem to be such a struggle to get to the top to breathe so I think we're gaining, but we've still got a ways to go before he's back to normal. I'm wondering if he doesn't have some elephant ear blood in him as his pectoral fins seem a little bigger than normal and are solid colored rather than see thru. I'm hoping he'll eat for me again tonight, see if we can't get his strength up and get some weight on him :)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #165 
TiffanyP

Lil Beenz is still hanging in there! He definitely feels much better, which I am happy about :) His fins are still pretty clamped, but looking better. He's a great eater, and I've got him on a 'weight gain diet' lol Much like a baby betta, I'm feeding him 3 times a day. 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 3 at night. He hasn't figured out that the pellets float yet, so he hunts them after they sink to the bottom haha it's pretty funny to watch :) I'm just so thrilled that he's doing as well as he is! It makes my heart happy.

Hope everything is going well for all of you :) thanks for checking in!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #166 
TiffanyP

Guess what! Beenz is turning a red color! He's got the milky opalescence on top of everything but underneath he appears to be red :) I tried to get a picture but it has to be in just the right light. He seems much more active today, even from yesterday and I noticed his first poo at the bottom of the tank! Yay Beenz! :D
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #167 
TiffanyP

Beenz continues to do well :) He's an active swimmer now and is such a little piggie! He's starting to put on a little weight, which is awesome! He just looks so much healthier and happier now and I'm very pleased! I'm glad it was an easy fix for him - food and some clean, warm water! I'm still not sure what color to classify him as he still appears to be changing as he gets healthier and healthier, but right now I'd call him pink with some turquoise-y tints? I'll try and snap a few pictures of him in a little while! Thanks for stopping in!

Last edited by TiffanyP; 03-16-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #168 
TiffanyP

Here's some new pictures of Lil Beenz' progress - he's doing amazing!

Day 3, March 12:

Day 4, March 13:

One week! March 16, look at how good he looks compared to the first picture I posted a few posts back!

He's still got a little ways to go yet, but I'm confident that he's going to live now and I'm so glad he gets to live with me :)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #169 
BettaLover1313

Beenz is looking much better from when you first got him! He's starting to show some of his personality too from the looks of the pictures!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #170 
TiffanyP

Yes, his personality is definitely beginning to show :) He's not scared of me at all, I can put my fingers in and on his tank and it doesn't bother him a bit. He already understands that fingers = food! He hasn't flared yet, but I'm going to change his water here in a few minutes and I'll stick him in with Nemo probably (in his cup! to keep warm because it's 58 degrees in my room currently lol a toasty 82 in his tank) and I'll watch a little to see if he won't flare for me :)

Thanks to everyone for checking in - I just realized I have over 3,000 views! That's insane to me! I didn't expect some random ramblings about my fish to be somewhat popular haha My boys and I thank you!