Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #671 
lovee1795

Those killifish are beautiful. I love the orange colors and their patterns, I've never seen them before. Lol. Also, I love all of your wild bettas, it makes me want to try my hand at them some day when I'm out of college. I've been stalking your journal for awhile so I figured I'd just drop a comment in, lol.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #672 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks Lovee1795. Killifish are great fish, and there are just so many species out there that I reckon there is one to suit every taste whether you like big fish, small fish, colourful fish or not so colourful fish.

I've said it in the past, but they remind me of a blend of Betta splendens and wild bettas. Particularly the Aphyosemion and Fundulopanchax genera.

To prove my point, here is the original male sparring with his biggest male offpsring.

He's flaring at the male in the back in this photo. They move so fast and there are so many of them in there my camera has a hard time focussing on them.

The troublemaker himself. A stunning fish and hopefully some of the eggs are spawns with him.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #673 
LittleBettaFish

Good news is that my miniopinna and brownorum all seem to have recovered from the ich. My brownorum female was still quite clamped but now the temperature is back to normal (it's been around 33 degrees celsius) she was swimming around normally this morning.

A couple of my miniopinna fry are big enough to take grindals. There are two that are always out and they were sparring yesterday although they are still only about 5mm in size.

My hendra male has a nest full of eggs he is tending. Expecting them to hatch in the next day or so.

I discovered a stunning juvenile male sp. apiapi the other day. He looks the spitting image of the original male and he certainly has plenty of sibling females to pair up with. Going to be exciting to see how he matures.

I also sold $40 worth of stuff yesterday and will be selling another $40 of stuff over the next couple of days. Although I want to see if one of the buyers would be willing to trade for some BBS cysts to save me having to order online and pay for shipping.

Bad news is that I lost one of my sub-adult A. australe males and more devastatingly, my lone poliaki female. There was a small gap in the gladwrap and they must have jumped out through it.

This is why I always push so hard for people to use cling wrap or something on their tanks that offer close to 100% coverage. When keeping species that seemingly have an inherent instinct to jump, I never take any chances.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #674 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sounds like some things are turning around for you. Sorry for your losses.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #675 
LittleBettaFish

Hopefully. Although nowadays I try not to get too hopeful about anything.

This morning, I decided to move my sp. apiapi tank from my sideboard up onto the top shelf of my fish rack - next to my persephone. This was so I could move my killifish tank onto my sideboard as it won't be going on the new chest of drawers that is on order. Luckily their tank is only like 12L so I just emptied out 10L into a bucket, moved it onto the shelf and filled it back up again. Now I just need to summon the energy to do the same with my killifish tank.

I also gave the sideboard itself a thorough clean. It stores most of my fish stuff such as food cultures, buckets, medications, water conditioners etc. and had been looking pretty dirty. I give it a week before it is dirty again.

Then later this afternoon, a girl who lives locally to me, came around to pick up some plants. We have met and talked before, and we managed to chat about fish for almost three hours. It's always nice to have someone who understands the hobby to talk with, and whose conversations about fish don't start with them talking about the goldfish they owned once that died.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #676 
LittleBettaFish

Well my brownorum still have ich. While there was nothing on the original female or the male sub-adult, I noticed one of the juveniles sporting two distinctive spots on her head. I'm going to turn the temperature back up and leave it like that for a couple of weeks. I forgot when I did it initially so I don't think I had it high enough for long enough. At least now I can see it is definitely ich rather than velvet or anything more sinister. It looks exactly like the ich my sp. wajok came in with so I am thinking I must have inadvertently cause cross-contamination between the two tanks.

Hendra fry have hatched and the male is busy tending to them. I also look to have had another killifish fry hatch out bringing my total to three. I am anxiously waiting for the rest of the eggs to hatch to see whether I am going to be able to do the same with more expensive species.

Speaking of killifish, my killifish tank has been moved over to my sideboard and I think they like being right by the door. I also set-up a proper hatchery so my eggs aren't just sitting in a container in the main tank.

I also traded some subwassertang and a mixture of moss for about 40 grams of BBS cysts. I have some bubbling away in my hatchery right now that are only a few hours off being ready for harvest so I'm going to feed my miniopinna fry and my killifish fry and just divide the rest up between tanks with juveniles/fry present. I did forget how noisy the hatchery is though, so that is going down into the rumpus room today.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #677 
LittleBettaFish

Okay here are some pictures. My sp. apiapi group are settling in well after the move. So much so that I just discovered the pair were spawning. Here is the female sneaking some food in between wraps.

Then I think this is a male juvenile. Someone damaged his caudal, but the colour and ventrals say male. I can't wait until I can count just how many pairs I have in this tank.

I got a photo of one of my elusive miniopinna fry with a stomach full of BBS. There's a few in the tank, I just rarely see them as there are a lot of hiding places.

This is what my rack looks like at the moment. On the top shelf are my persephone and sp. apiapi. On the second shelf are my sp. wajok, brownorum, hendra and miniopinna. The bottom shelf has my rutilans sp. cf. green along with my A. australe gold hatchery and a spare tank that is going to be a killifish grow-out.

Finally, here are my killifish up on the sideboard. The anubias in their tank is getting sold and I'm looking at plants like hornwort and Amazon Frogbit to provide some cover.

The green yarn is the spawning mops. I haven't been through them in a little while so not sure if there are eggs in them or not.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #678 
cheekysquirrel

You have some beautiful fish! Thank you for proving that wilds aren't drab. One day, when I'm older, wiser, richer, and living in a house with better pipes and water, I might give wilds a go. Until then, I'll just stalk you
... Not literally, of course. Please don't call the cops.
cheekysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #679 
LittleBettaFish

Haha it's a bit of a hike from Perth to Melbourne to do some stalking.

I do know there are some wild betta keepers over there, and a pair of my Betta persephone went over to WA last year.

It's a very big misconception that wild bettas are the ugly cousins of the fancier splendens. This is why I like to pimp out my journal with lots of pictures.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #680 
LittleBettaFish

Okay I feel like I have been spamming my own thread, but some of these were too nice not to share.

First up, are two of the smaller males flaring at each other.

Then just a couple of the smaller males swimming around. You can see that in a group the males don't really develop the flowing white extensions on the caudal fins that they do when you just keep them as part of a breeding pair/trio.

After those photos, I got the mirror out and my biggest male and his father were having a great time flaring at their reflections.

This is the biggest male. He was moving so fast up and down the glass I couldn't manage to get him into focus.

Then his father joins in (these two are very similar in size now)

The two of them together (father is in background flaring)

Finally, my biggest male upset that I took his entertainment away.

I seriously love these fish. I have been browsing killifish forums all day. I can't wait to get some more.