Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #691 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
there really isn't much you can do for Dragoon except keep him comfy. Epsom salts won't help since I believe these cysts are more solid unlike Tumors which are generally either filled with fat or liquid of sorts...could totally be wrong about that. But either way, Epsom won't help, AQ salt isn't going to help, there really aren't any meds that would help and not stress him out I'm sorry.
It's just hard seeing him so lethargic today . I'm really hoping he just needs rest and isn't losing his strength. He has eaten both times today, but he swims around briefly and then goes into his log for long periods of time and just rests against either the sides or the bottom of it.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #692 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Could just be part of getting older as well, Remmy has been lounging around more as well lately as has Aero who generally is zooming all over the place. Both are over a year old now though. Just some thoughts.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #693 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Could just be part of getting older as well, Remmy has been lounging around more as well lately as has Aero who generally is zooming all over the place. Both are over a year old now though. Just some thoughts.
I've seen him sort of rest occasionally before, same with Merlin, but I've never seen him rest this much with such brief periods of leaving the log.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #694 
BettaLover1313

Good news! Dragoon seems to be mostly back to normal today. I've seen him resting a bit still, but not nearly as much as the past two days. He's been much more active like I've been used to seeing . I'm assuming he was either in a bit of pain (who wouldn't be) or he is starting to feel the fact that he's a bit lopsided. Regardless, I'm happy that he doesn't seem to be as lethargic as yesterday.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #695 
BettaLover1313

Yesterday was an eventful day, especially with Dragoon.

Now, when he's resting, he's been very still, and he's always tilting to the side. I had to tap the side of the tank near him (which I don't like doing) several times before he woke up, glanced at me, and went right back to sleep.

A mini rant:

Some of you probably know that I was thinking of purchasing a betta. I was working on the figures when a friend came over and immediately said "Oh, it's you, you'll get the fish". Admittedly, I was strongly leaning towards buying the said fish (before I did any figuring on all the costs), but to have her say it the way she did, and then she insinuated that I wasn't the one making the decision but my mother! It's true, I did include her in the decision (her electric bill) but that doesn't mean she made the decision! Does it influence yes? Does how much I make/can afford influence, yes! To make things worse, I had to tell her several times, what I was intending-buying a 10 gallon, possibly new hood or lights/cover! Even my room mate was getting annoyed on my behalf.
The worst part? She kept saying I should put down Dragoon! Now I know he's not exactly the prettiest fish to look at with his cyst, and yes, he has gotten a bit slower, but who wouldn't with that on their side? I imagine he gets tired with that weight on his side! Just because he was really lethargic two days ago she thinks he needs to be put down! Arggggh!

End Mini Rant

Yeah, otherwise, yesterday was just another school day filled with classes and homework. Today should be more interesting!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #696 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Dragoon does not need to be put down unless he has literally given up on himself and you will know when that happens! I understand about the including your mom on the decision and I think that is very good of you! Don't let your 'friend' tell you otherwise!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #697 
summersea

I feel your pain. Most people don't understand the attachment we get to these fish or why we love having them. When Artie passed yesterday most of my friends and family just gave me a sympathetic look - and not because my fish passed but because I was so upset about it. That is why we have this forum...to be/meet with people who understand! And to rant when needed

Hope you have a better day today!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #698 
lovee1795

I understand how you feel! None of my friends here at college understand why I care so much when it comes to Sparky... "It's just a fish." Well, Sparky has as much of a personality as their hamsters and guinea pigs! And he doesn't smell as bad! d:
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #699 
BettaLover1313

Thanks for your support everyone! I just really needed to get it out of my system. I did tell my friend that I didn't appreciate their comments, and they did apologize. I am still a bit mad at them, but as long as they don't say those things again, we'll be fine.

Today was a LONG day. I was on campus from 9am to 7pm for classes and various interviews/meetings. There is lots of good news today though, and one piece of sad news.

We'll get the sad news out of the way-one of my professors passed away just this past Friday. So we now have a different professor who is basically "cleaning the slate". Basically, our professor wasn't very good at keeping grades and is letting us used the grades that we did have/like to use in substitution for some of her similar assignments. It's very weird to have a new professor mid-semester since we were used to the other one. Plus, it was quite a shock to see the professor's name in an all-campus e-mail saying that he had passed.

Now to the good news: I met with the two professors who are going to help me with the project and they are very interested in what I want to do. They did want to tweak it slightly to make it more feasible, but it's still what I wanted to do for the project. Plus, the project will start next fall. Also, I went to an interview with a crop consulting company and I'm really hoping that I can get the internship. It's near my home, I wouldn't be confined to an office, and I'd be doing one of the things I love in the agricultural field. Well-two things-agronomy & soils!

Finally, even though I haven't really seen my betta boys since this morning, Dragoon is feeling better. He's built me a little bubble nest, which he hasn't been doing since Sunday. I'm glad that he's feeling well enough to do that. Merlin is his usual grumpy self, while the snails are still happily eating the algae in the tank.

Overall, today's been a good day, even if a bit long, and now I'm going to peruse forum since I haven't had the chance to all day!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #700 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww that's really sad to hear about the professor! I was sad enough when one of mine retired never mind passed away. I'm really sorry to hear that! But that's fantastic about your horse genetics project! That is going to be amazing, I'm sure work heavy but all the worth it!!

Yay, happy Dragoon is still doing well still! ^_^