Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 
vilmarisv

Unhappy Bid rip on fin

My poor betta woke up this morning with a slit on his fin tail.
What can I do, besides daily water changes, to help heal and avoid infections?
Thanks!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #2 
RobinK

From what I've read, so far, they heal quickly. Keep changing water and Melafix is what I use.
RobinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Ok. Got the Melafix form my LPS. Now do I follow the instructions on the label? Because I understand that you administer the dose and then add the same dose everyday for 3 days, then do a 25% water change... but shouldn't I do 50% changes everyday instead? FYI, I have a 2.5 gal tank.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 
RobinK

I am no expert...you will want to Google more on this. But I just put half a teaspoon in my 2.5 gallon tank everyday for about a week. I did 1/4 water changes every other day... I can say this - you will be surprised at how fast it will start to heal. One of my fish got a hole in it's fin - things got a little out of hand while I was trying to clean the entire aquarium after my son put chocolate milk in it...and I think I caused it to tear myself. A hole - right in the center of his lower fin. Within a day it was closed and healed. It will be okay. Whether you change half or 1/4 it will still work.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #5 
RobinK

ps the fish in your picture is gorgeous!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 
RobinK

Oh one more thing...how did the rip happen? You will want to investigate that. Take out any sharp plastic plants or toys/stuff. I use silk or silk like plants and every now and then one of the fish I think will tear on a plastic edge of a fake plant. You have to watch that. I hear the "pantyhose test" is good - that is if you can run the plant down a pair of pantyhose without it running the nylon, it's safe for your fish. DO try this at home! hahaha!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

I'll give it a try starting now, hopefully he'll heal soon.
Thanks! That's the poor guy who got his fin damaged, needless to say I was VERY upset when I saw.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 
RobinK

Remember just use a 1/4 teaspoon! There are posts that say it's toxic at higher levels (I didn't know that but I guess it's an ongoing controversy in the betta world...there is also a treatment called Bettafix that is the same but less concentrated...). So make sure you use the 1/4 teaspoon and I'd mix it with a little water from a cupful from your tank before pouring it back in. I knew none of this before your question..I was just putting it in my tank and my fish all healed. Several have had torn fins from time to time for God knows why. But they heal quickly so it will be cool! Good luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #9 
RobinK

My halfmoon, Ichiro, is tattered. Don't know it he's biting himself or what but the melafix keeps him healing. Pet store lady at Petco showed me how to tell if the tail is growing back...and it is.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #10 
newfiedragon

My fish has tattered fins and he had a big rip in his bottom fin less than a week ago. The big rip is completely healed already. It was almost completely healed before I started any water changes or medication. You can't even tell it was ripped anymore. But just to make sure, I'm using the Bettafix for 7 days.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote