Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #1 
Ashthemutt

Question Betta Sorority

Hello Guys. Now im not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have 2 females, and I bought 2 more from aquabid, but they are yet to show up after 5 days :( Which is really upsetting and is worrying me.

Right now I have my two girls in little cup like things that are maybe 2/4 a gallon and 3/4 a gallon. The two girls have been watching eacho ther and interacting through the containers (and their tanks were beside each other when they were separate) and are just kind of ignoring eachother now.

I have this beautful planted 10 gal. That I was going to put them all in, but since the others havent shown up yet, my two have been kept in those little cups.

Ok, back to the question. Would it be possible to put them together? My tank has multiple hiding spots, and both girls are fairly submissive (except one is a little more dominant than the other) I raised the one from a baby, and she has been kept with many different fish, and snails (Tetras, Mystery snails, apple snails, etc.) I know the minimum you should have is 5 girls in a tank.. But i have seen it done with only two. I just want to know if my girls would be in danger. PLEASE RESPOND!

(Here is a picture of my two girls, before I modified their tank)
Ashthemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You could but I think your girls will be safer if you found one more ^_^ besides, who doesn't love buying more fish? lol

Do you have a pic of the 10 gallon for us to see and make sure it's appropriate? Any other fish in there?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #3 
Ashthemutt

No, no recent pictures. I will upload one tomorrow. I have 2 mystery snails in there right now though. I figured why not let someone enjoy the tank.

I did buy 2 more girls... But that have not yet showed up... Which is very upsetting
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I'm saying to have a total of 5 in the tank would be a better option if you can. Four may work but each sorority is different as each Betta has their own personality. I assume you bought them from AquaBid or ebay? Have they been shipped to your country yet? Or has it been five days since the Transhipper sent out the fish?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't put two females in together, particularly as they will be moved from their current tank into a completely new environment. This can change the dynamics between the two of them. You may find that although they aren't showing any aggression towards each other while they are separate, they could fight when put in together.

I had two females that shared a sorority tank with a group of other females. One of the fish in the tank didn't like those two, so I moved them into a 45 gallon tank where they were the only two inhabitants. Within seconds they were fighting so badly I had to separate them. I'd never seen them act particularly aggressive towards each other before, and it wasn't until I added in more females that I could keep them together again.

Are you not going to be quarantining your new arrivals? This is something I strongly recommend even if the fish are from a reputable source and appear outwardly healthy.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #6 
Alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashthemutt View Post
No, no recent pictures. I will upload one tomorrow. I have 2 mystery snails in there right now though. I figured why not let someone enjoy the tank.

I did buy 2 more girls... But that have not yet showed up... Which is very upsetting
Just thought if double check but were the fish supposed to arrive at your house five days ago? Did your transshipper tell you that was the day? I'd be freaking out lol
Alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #7 
RainbowBettaGuy

I would wait til you get all your females and made sure they are all healthy. It's best to introduce all girls together at the same time. Otherwise you'll mess up their pecking order and they will peck, chase and fight with every new girl that comes in the tank until everyone knows their place. I've heard it's not good to put just two because they will be more likely to fight each other for space. Three isn't good either because two May gang up on one. They say four being the min and the more you have the more the aggression is spread out. Makes sure there's lots of leaves and plants. I find my girls like to hide in leaves more than caves. Hope this helps.
RainbowBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #8 
Fin Fancier

I had a failed attempt to start a sorority in a 20g long (always, always make sure your cycle is established even if you're only starting with 5 fish. I'll never trust one of those instant start bacteria again). Due to the die off there were only two females in there, I didn't see any chasing so I left them be. Within two weeks one died of a mystery disease from what I can only assume was stress since my other girl was fine. Betta's need to spread out their aggression.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #9 
Ashthemutt

The other 2 girls came two days ago! They are all in te tank and are doing great. I've only seen some pecking between two of them, the other two are perfectly fine and all are swimming around happily. Everyone is eating, and no one is hiding. This is my second attempt at a sorority and I have to say I have a very nice group of girls. Thank you for all the help everyone
Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #10 
Ashthemutt

All My Girls

The girls have been together for a few days and here is just some updated pictures of them all :)