Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #11 
Laki

That driftwood should be fine enough for shrimp to hide in. I know mine is a haven for the RCS and they never leave the crevices! For months I thought I only had 1 RCS left but 3 more were just hiding all the time! haha

I LOVE the tanned water. The shrimp and betta will too honestly and it's great for their health; I wouldn't try to dilute it out. Indian almond leaves are great for maintaining the look as well. The only thing is that it sometimes hinders the light for live plants.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #12 
RedFynn21

Cool! I actually liked how the darker water looks, too! Glad that there is enough hiding spots. I was kind of worried...just in case my betta decided to take a bite out of one. But that is doubtful. Lol I am not sure where to get IAL, though? I've seen it on e-bay, but kind of leery of purchasing over there. I thought if I might get it, he might actually bubble nest. The entire time I have had him he has never bubblenested or flared. If not for the long fins and no egg spot, I would think he is a she...

Last edited by RedFynn21; 03-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #13 
Lenimph

I recommend shrimp over snails if you have live plants. I have had issues with snails wanting to eat my plants... and mystery ( and well most) snails have a bigger bioload then they're worth. IMO at least.

I need to get some shrimps myself and my LFS had some cherries. But they were kind of pricey and not adult size. Gonna wait to see if they're still alive in a week.
Lenimph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #14 
Kumo

Some snails or ghost shrimp would be a good addition to the tank. The snails also help keep the algae at bay :)
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #15 
RedFynn21

Petco had ghost shrimp, and PetSmart had ghost shrimp as well. I am having a tough time getting red cherry shrimp, which is what I have ultimately decided to get with the possibility of a mystery snail. I saw that they can be ordered via online. Has anyone ever gone this route before? I am okay with ghost shrimp, but would love to add some color to my tank.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #16 
shyanne

Name:  tank.png
Views: 294
Size:  195.7 KB
I just got 5 ghost shrimp for my 5.5g yesterday. My female betta doesn't even bother them. When they want to hide they hide in that log. But they usually are out exploring the tank and crawling up the sides of the tank.
If you are still thinking about what to get, I would try some ghost shrimp. They are fun to watch.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTKxEmKLyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maif4h-EL6Q

Last edited by shyanne; 03-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
shyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #17 
Laki

Gorgeous tank :) Personally, I would cover one side of the glass for security for the fish but a lot of people do it this way and have no problems. I like to think of it as standing on a stage for your whole life with things moving around that you don't understand and people watching you. While fish don't feel self-concious like we would on a stage, they like to hide and feel secure along a border. Especially bettas, who come from densely planted habitats.

Also, you can buy IAL on ebay. It's the cheapest there. Most people here love Amy's store but I buy from Aquatic Magic. Always, those 2 are guaranteed.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #18 
shyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Gorgeous tank :) Personally, I would cover one side of the glass for security for the fish but a lot of people do it this way and have no problems. I like to think of it as standing on a stage for your whole life with things moving around that you don't understand and people watching you. While fish don't feel self-concious like we would on a stage, they like to hide and feel secure along a border. Especially bettas, who come from densely planted habitats.

Also, you can buy IAL on ebay. It's the cheapest there. Most people here love Amy's store but I buy from Aquatic Magic. Always, those 2 are guaranteed.
Who are you talking to , me or redfynn? But even if you aren't talking to me I'll still take that into consideration!!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #19 
RedFynn21

I like your tank, Shyanne! I ended up getting 4 ghost shrimp for my 5 gal. Funny little guys! He he. I also ended up w this guy....
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #20 
shyanne

Ooh he is a cutie! :)
The ghost shrimp are cool, huh? I just sit there and watch them all the time!