Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #1 
Lucifish

Question Moving my buddy

I am a college student, and spring break is approacing. My little finned buddy is obviously coming home with me, but he is also getting a new tank this weekend, his is TINY right now (I got him for free and he came in it) I was wondering a few things, firstly, how do I safely get him home? My current option is to secure his small tank for the 45 minute drive and pray.
Secondly: break will be approximately one week, am I better to keep him in his tiny tank (about one fishy length by 5 fishy lengths) for the break then move him into his new one when I get back to my dorm or am I better trying to move him to his new tank for the week, them move him back to his tiny one for transport?
Thirdly: I think he came home with fin rot, I have changed his water every few days and today he made me a bubble nest! :D (most of that escaped with his old water that was changed today) but what can I do to help him? When he goes into his new tank, I plan on boiling his gravel so it gets clean and sterile. I included a picture of him, it's a few days old (he's in a bad mood today and won't pose for photos) but it shows the coloring on his fins that is concerning me. It seems blacker today. -concerned-
Lastly: my room at home is ICE cold, I'm waiting to see how big his new tank is (being given by a friend) but is there anything I can do to warm him up in the mean time? He's pretty active and eats fine, but I worry about him
Thank you for reading this really long post, and for your help!
Attached Images

Lucifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 
givemethatfish

I think if his tank is that small, it would be ok to bring him home in it. I would reduce the water level as much as you can so it's still comfortable for him and wrap a blanket around it. You want to put him as close to the center of the car as possible to minimize movement - so in a regular passenger car, on the floor in the middle of the front and back seats. Secure him so there as little movement as possible - you could stuff blankets/pillows/sweatshirts tightly around it. 45 minutes isn't that long of a drive. I've also heard of people putting their betta in a thermos bottle (with the lid loose for air) to keep the water warm as well as in something like a McDonald's cup because it's a small volume and there's a lid. The smaller the volume of water he's in, the less movement there will be and the less stress for him.

I am not an expert, but I personally would keep him in the small tank for the week and just change the water as often as you can to keep it super clean to help heal the fin rot. Meaning every day. Get a heater for the big tank and what you can do is put his little tank inside the bigger one, fill the bigger one up until the little tank is like 3/4 submerged, and turn on the heater in the bigger tank. It will warm the water for both tanks, and your guy doesn't have to go through the stress of moving a lot. My reasoning for keeping him in the smaller tank is it's much easier to do daily water changes for now. Clean, warm water is your best first line of defense for him.

If you can't get a heater for the larger tank, at least get a thermometer. Keep maybe a heating pad if you have one near or under the tank, but you'll have to keep an eye on the thermometer. You want the temperature of the water at least 80 degrees but not higher than like 87 or 88. Keeping it at a CONSTANT temp is important.

That's all my thoughts for now, but I'm sure others will come along. Your fish is lovely. He looks like my Jetta.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #3 
givemethatfish

Oh! And I just had another thought. What kind of gravel do you have? If you have the painted/colored stuff from like Petco or Petsmart, I wouldn't boil it. I've heard of the color not being stable and flaking off if it boils or freezes. You can sanitize it by soaking in vinegar OR bleach and then rinse rinse rinse rinse and let it completely air dry. Or just buy new gravel. If it's not that kind, then ignore this!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #4 
Lucifish

Thank you! I have no honest idea what gravel he has, to be realistic, I think I'll get him an entire new setup, because I would prefer to know. (And there's prettier things than what he's got.) can I do the pretty glass rondelles with him or will they have too much mirror for a betta? -very new to this- I was lucky with my first betta as a kid, she made it two years in a bowl and a clueless kiddo owner.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #5 
givemethatfish

You can do the glass stones. A lot of people have them with bettas. The only thing about them is it's hard to clean under/around them even with a gravel vacuum, so you end up needing to take them out and rinse. Not a huge deal but it's something.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #6 
Lucifish

I have to take out and rinse anyway right now, I don't own a gravel vac yet. His new tank will hopefully have a filter :) that will help me too!

Tags
new owner, sick betta?, transporting