Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #1 
Jakr959

Exclamation Fin Damage

OK, Akrin's plastic plant has been giving him horrible fin damage. I took it out and I was wondering if I should just let him heal on his own or get some medicen.
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #2 
LucyLoofa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakr959 View Post
OK, Akrin's plastic plant has been giving him horrible fin damage. I took it out and I was wondering if I should just let him heal on his own or get some medicen.
Oldfishlady told me the best thing to do is keep up regular water changes with aquarium salt in the tank. :) It helped my betta a lot.
I really recommend this advice.
She is very experienced with fish!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Very true, clean fresh dechlorinated water from daily water changes is great medication.

Since this is a new injury without a secondary infection, I would treat him in his tank with just 50% daily water changes for 4-5 days back to back and if it looks to be a start of fin rot I would QT him and do 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #4 
Jakr959

Well, It doesn't look like it's going to progress to fin rot. Also is there any recommened dechlorinater's that could help heal his fin damage?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #5 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakr959 View Post
Well, It doesn't look like it's going to progress to fin rot. Also is there any recommened dechlorinater's that could help heal his fin damage?
I just use one that helps the stress coat. It has aloe in it and it's also a really good dechlorinator.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #6 
Adastra

You will get the most for your money with Prime--it is concentrated and removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and detoxifies ammonia.

Am I the only one who thinks stress coat's marketing is a little weird? I dunno how swimming through a bunch of aloe is supposed to help a fish's slime coat. Fish don't really come across a lot of aloe in nature. Lol. Gives me a weird mental image of lotiony fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I am with Adastra on that, IMO the less chemical additives the better, all those extra additives are not needed and of no real use IMO except to make the hobbyist feel like they are doing more for the fish...this is just my opinion..... and Prime is one of the better products on the market to use for the dechlorinating needs when on city water supply or having lot of heavy metal in your water IMO....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #8 
LucyLoofa

I just read the reviews on amazon after hearing it and agree with you both, pime is definitely the superior to my dechlorinater.
I'm glad you mentioned that too! I will have to pick some up soon.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #9 
Jakr959

Ok so my mom told me if I change his water alot it would stress him out, and I only use salt if he had parasites which he doesnt. so I am really confused
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #10 
beta novice

i would change it dont listen to your mom and use the salt listen to the advice given to you
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin damage, medicen, plastic plant