Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 
tanglover

Exclamation Please help my ph drops rapidly

to see my the rest of my history view my last forum *unfortunaly it seems dead this month
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic11....aspx?Update=1

OMG MY PH has droped again >:(

alright any how this is whats happend so far since i did a full water change and tank scrub
all water changes have had one teaspoon of aquarium salt, kordon amquel+, kordon Novaqua+, kordon Fish protector
my gravel is topfin natural (im starting to wonder if its that now)
pulling out my ornaments did nothing
i have not changed my filter since 2 weeks ago
my air pump for my filter sits under my stand to my aquarium (i say this because i hear that carbondioxid can cause pH drops, and the pump is pretty much closed up in there)

!IM REALLY GETTING ANNOYED as my pH will not sustain its self in my tank longer than 2 days but my water is a day old with a pH between 7.6 and 7.2 >:(!

!please help in the mean time i plan on pulling out my aquarium's gravel!

06/21/10
pH:7.2 ammonia:0 temp:78 water change: 40%

06/22/10
pH7.0 ammonia:0 Water change: 40%

06/23/10
pH6.0 ammonia:0 water change 40%

all my pH: reading for my pitcher of water i fill for the next the day i change it has a pH of between 7.6 and 7.2 IDK WHATS GOING ON BUT I NEED TO FIX THIS :crying:
tanglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 
Adastra

Have you tested the kH of your water? kH represents your water's buffering capacity--the lower the kH, the more likely your pH is likely to fluctuate. There are additives you can use to raise the kH of your water and make it less susceptible to fluctuations. I would get your kH tested.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #3 
tanglover

i went to the local aquarium shop (hadnt been in ages, cause its so far) he gave me one of his gH tests really cheap cause it was out of his master kit he said you want gH not kH for a fresh water tank, he said he wouldnt know why it would drop so fast but he said one i shouldnt use the novaqual cause it dosent do any thing except take out the ammonia and he perfers prime but he said amquel+ is still relly good stuff so keep using it. he said i might have been puting too many chemicals for a 2.5 gallon tank and to just put in a sea shell to raise the pH.
so i made a whole new batch of water for my next change this time with out the novaqual and i soaked a small shell in vinigar and then rinsed it and placed it in the tank

i also changed my filter today

i got instructions for my tetra gH test kit and followed them (there kinda confusing but if you dont know how it works heres the instructions http://www.bg-pet.com/Fish/Water/LabTests.pdf )
its still confusing but heres the results
i filled the vile with 5ml of water added
1 drop = clear
2 drops = simi very very diluted green
3 drops = greener but still diluted
* it just keeps going greener and greener

the instructions (and the owner of the fish store who showed how it worked) says that it changes colors ( his was red and then as he added suddenly turned green) mine didnt do that) help with this if you can

lol so my gH is like 1-2

SOOOOooooo :/ im allitle stumped but ill check my water tomarow afternoon before my change.

Last edited by tanglover; 06-23-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: detail
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #4 
tanglover

well i checked it and my ph: has gone up so its like between 6.0 and 6.5
my ammonia is now 0.25
i did another 40% water change

Last edited by tanglover; 06-24-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: oops
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Have you checked your source water after it has aerated for 24 hours, not just sitting out, add an air stone to it for 24h and then re-check your source water.
Well water or city water supply?

Less chemical additives the better

How is the fish tolerating the pH swings?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote