Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #11 
JKfish

Oh, I noticed no body said this, but for freezed dried bloodworms, and even pellets too, it is a good idea to soak them a minute or two in water before feeding. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #12 
wallywestisthebest333

Talking

The Aqua Culture 5 Gallon Kit has a tank, lighted hood/lid and filter. about about $30 found at Walmart.

If you get the kit I reccommend going to www.petblvd.com and searching "SafeStart" exactly the way I typed it. =] It'll cycle your aquarium for you. mine's arriving tomorrow!!! So excited!!! It's the cheapest place to buy it. =] A cycle will be REALLY beneficial to you because you won't have to change the water as often. =] It costs about $5. =]

May I also recommend a bettalog? I'm gonna buy one for my bettas! =] I've heard great reviews! I think it's about $8 at most petstores.

Also some things you'll need:

Gravel vac about $8 at walmart or petsmart
Aquarium salt about $4 at walmart incase he gets sick/damages his fins.
Water Test Kit to test for nitrites/nitrates and ammonia about $15 and $8 if you get strips. Petsmart/petstore only.
Silk Plants, Real Plants, or Plastic Plants with a pair of pantyhose to test them. if the hose run when you glide them over the plant then it'll tear your betta's fins. Various costs and stores. =] Try a craft store like Michael's for the silk plants! =]
Tape and a water bottle to baffle the really strong current that the filter with the kit makes. =/ Love the kit but that current was made for less flowy fish. about $5 at Walmart

instructions for baffleing your filter:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 06-24-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: forgot to bold the kit
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #13 
beta novice

heater ummm bigger tank hiding places plants etc
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #14 
mjbn

Make sure you have alot of hiding spots too. and the tank that wallywest is talking about is the one i was supposed to get but walmart didn't have any instore):
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #15 
Betta Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Oh, I noticed no body said this, but for freezed dried bloodworms, and even pellets too, it is a good idea to soak them a minute or two in water before feeding. :)
Ok i'll do that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
The Aqua Culture 5 Gallon Kit has a tank, lighted hood/lid and filter. about about $30 found at Walmart.

If you get the kit I reccommend going to www.petblvd.com and searching "SafeStart" exactly the way I typed it. =] It'll cycle your aquarium for you. mine's arriving tomorrow!!! So excited!!! It's the cheapest place to buy it. =] A cycle will be REALLY beneficial to you because you won't have to change the water as often. =] It costs about $5. =]

May I also recommend a bettalog? I'm gonna buy one for my bettas! =] I've heard great reviews! I think it's about $8 at most petstores.

Also some things you'll need:

Gravel vac about $8 at walmart or petsmart
Aquarium salt about $4 at walmart incase he gets sick/damages his fins.
Water Test Kit to test for nitrites/nitrates and ammonia about $15 and $8 if you get strips. Petsmart/petstore only.
Silk Plants, Real Plants, or Plastic Plants with a pair of pantyhose to test them. if the hose run when you glide them over the plant then it'll tear your betta's fins. Various costs and stores. =] Try a craft store like Michael's for the silk plants! =]
Tape and a water bottle to baffle the really strong current that the filter with the kit makes. =/ Love the kit but that current was made for less flowy fish. about $5 at Walmart

instructions for baffleing your filter: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle
Thanks for all the good advice. But I already went out earlier this morning and bought a Tetra 1.5 Gallon Tank that came with the Tetra Whipser filter. I also bought a heater and a thermometer to put inside the tank. I have it all set up now, put in the little pellet to make the water safe for Bettas, and I'm letting the filter run for a bit before putting him in the new tank. Does this sound good? And here's a picture of the new tank. Also, what's a good temperature to keep the water at?

It's just sitting in a temporary place right now. I plan on buying a nice stand to put it on eventually.
Attached Images

Last edited by Betta Newbie; 06-24-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Betta Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #16 
mjbn

i hope those plants are silk! but looks nice, and temp should always be 78-82 degrees F.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #17 
Betta Newbie

Nope, plastic. They came with the tank. I just read that in Wally's post and I took them out. Gonna go get some silk plants or real plants later today.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #18 
Adastra

With a tank that small, you will need to change 100% of the water every three days. Even with the filter, it is not possible for a tank this small to undergo the nitrogen cycle--the filter will not do you much good in a tank this size. Personally, I would remove the filter until you get a larger tank--current can stress a betta out, and the filter doesn't really do any good in a tank this small.

Small tanks weren't really made "for bettas" to live and thrive in, they were made to make money off of the abuse of these fish. The companies who make tanks 1.5G or less in size do not care about the welfare of the fish, they want to make money and the best way to do it is to overcharge for a small amount of cheap materials. In this hobby, we learn very quickly that the way the pet industry markets its items is cruel and unfair to unknowing consumers.

If I were you, I would return those items to the store and buy a 2 or 4 gallon rubbermaid/sterilite bin from walmart or target. These containers are only about $2-4 each, and are actually better designed for taking care of bettas than most of small fish tanks because they are long and shallow. They are not as pretty, but they are safe to heat and are a great place to keep your betta until you can afford a better tank. They also make great hospital containers for when your fish gets sick and can be used to age water in before water changes.

I urge you to continue to research betta care and how best to house your betta before you make any big purchases.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-that tank is just fine and it will cycle, however, due to the size and needed water changes to maintain water quality cycling is a non-issue.

In a 1.5g tank with a filter, I would have regular water changes of 50% twice a week along with gravel cleaning with one of the twice weekly 50% water changes. And 50% water only change if you see any behavior change like-hiding, not eating, floating, lethargic etc....

Filter media need a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow to remove the big pieces of gunk off, you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow. Rinsing in chlorinated tap water can kill the good bacteria.

When you make water changes-keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water and always use a dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank if you are on city water supply.

IMO/E-the only chemical additive you need is a dechlorinator if on city water supply.

A heater is needed to keep the water temp in the 78-80F area

Don't overfeed and it is easy to do with this species since they beg for food wagging their tag and acting hungry all the time, but resist temptation. Also, remove any uneaten food after feeding to prevent the water from fouling too fast.

Love your new-set up and looking forward to seeing new pic with the new plants and you have a beautiful Betta...congrats and Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...it's and awesome world.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #20 
Betta Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E-that tank is just fine and it will cycle, however, due to the size and needed water changes to maintain water quality cycling is a non-issue.

In a 1.5g tank with a filter, I would have regular water changes of 50% twice a week along with gravel cleaning with one of the twice weekly 50% water changes. And 50% water only change if you see any behavior change like-hiding, not eating, floating, lethargic etc....

Filter media need a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow to remove the big pieces of gunk off, you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow. Rinsing in chlorinated tap water can kill the good bacteria.

When you make water changes-keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water and always use a dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank if you are on city water supply.

IMO/E-the only chemical additive you need is a dechlorinator if on city water supply.

A heater is needed to keep the water temp in the 78-80F area

Don't overfeed and it is easy to do with this species since they beg for food wagging their tag and acting hungry all the time, but resist temptation. Also, remove any uneaten food after feeding to prevent the water from fouling too fast.

Love your new-set up and looking forward to seeing new pic with the new plants and you have a beautiful Betta...congrats and Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...it's and awesome world.....
Thanks for the good advice. I'm gonna make sure to refer to your's and wally's posts often. And I haven't gone out to get any plants yet, but he is in the tank now and seems to like it. He has more energy it looks like as he's been swimming around much more. And he really likes the little rock sculpture because he keeps hiding behind it when my daughter gets close. lol. Here's another quick picture.
Attached Images