Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
Zoelie

Getting a new tank today!

Okay, so I decided on taking Apollo out of the divided 10 gallon I have, and putting Phyre in his place...and giving Apollo his very own tank, I'm set on one I saw at petco that is a 3 gallon.

I just want some opinions on tank decor. The first one I was thinking about would be Oriental with some tall (fake) grass, a lotus flower, and some sort of oriental statue. Here is the lotus flower I found:

http://www.petco.com/product/110922/...ium-Plant.aspx

The second thought would be doing a black and white theme..possibly black gravel or black jewels with a few teal ones here and there (to match him)... with white plants or vice versa.

What do you think? Here's a picture of Apollo for reference:

Thanks everyone
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #2 
Mizzle

imo go with a natural look. some sand, live plants, some river stones, and driftwood =D
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 
Zoelie

I had thought about that idea too briefly mizzle. I was looking at the thread where everyone posted their tanks and I really liked the way sand looks. I'm just worried about how to clean it out with sand.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #4 
Welsh

Sand is a nightmare to keep clean especially if you have fish that poop a lot like mine and plants that are messy. If you're going to just have 1 fish then you should be OK, what I do to clean the tank is use the siphon and just hover above the sand it hoovers up all the dirt,etc. On a plus note though sand does look nice and natural just remember to rake through it every so often to rid of any bacteria =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 
Zoelie

Okay, thanks for the info! Yes, it would be just him in the tank. I still have a few hours to decide on decor, and I'm looking on the website first to get an idea how much everything will cost ect :D
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #6 
mjbn

make sure u use the retail price to add up... my spending "estimate" was $60 at petco.. ended up spending $80 cuz online & in store prices differeed
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #7 
Zoelie

Yeah I almost made that mistake too! Alot of the stuff online is on sale but by the time I add shipping I'm just better off going to the store =p
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #8 
mjbn

yeah haha
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #9 
52cherish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoelie View Post
Okay, so I decided on taking Apollo out of the divided 10 gallon I have, and putting Phyre in his place...and giving Apollo his very own tank, I'm set on one I saw at petco that is a 3 gallon.

I just want some opinions on tank decor. The first one I was thinking about would be Oriental with some tall (fake) grass, a lotus flower, and some sort of oriental statue. Here is the lotus flower I found:

http://www.petco.com/product/110922/...ium-Plant.aspx
I took those Lotus flowers out of the male betta tank. Only the females have them now. They are a little hard and spiky and I don't recommend using them for a male betta with long fins.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #10 
Zoelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52cherish View Post
I took those Lotus flowers out of the male betta tank. Only the females have them now. They are a little hard and spiky and I don't recommend using them for a male betta with long fins.
Oh wow that's not good at all. Thanks for the info! That would have been terrible for Apollo :(