Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #1 
Amour

Looking for a good inexpensive gravel vacuum

Hello!

So far I'm inclined to go with this one but I keep buying things that later turn out to be no good and am tired of wasting money this way.

I need something inexpensive that will do the job. My fist tank is 1.5gal and houses 1 baby Crowntail Betta (male, if it matters at all).

Anyway, I've been looking at this one
http://www.lnt.com/show_product/4667...utm_term=46672

Should I go for it?

Thanks!
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

You don't need a gravel vac in that small of a tank. You should be doing 2 100% changes a week with maybe a 50% in between those. When you wash out the tank you'll be getting everything out of the substrate so there's no need for one.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #3 
Mizzle

I use a thick airline tube and start the siphon with my mouth. works better than any gravel vacuum i've ever tried. just put a finger on the end of the tube going into the bucket to control the water flow. edit: you don't need a gravel vacuum for a tank that is that small / uncycled
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #4 
Amour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
You don't need a gravel vac in that small of a tank. You should be doing 2 100% changes a week with maybe a 50% in between those. When you wash out the tank you'll be getting everything out of the substrate so there's no need for one.
Are you kidding me? 2 100% water changes A WEEK? You want me to kill my Betta don't you?

"A betta tank should never need 100% water changes unless working with medications. Too drastic of a change in water params can cause illness and death to any fish. Bettas can withstand more than the average tropical fish, and 50% changes are good for them if done frequently enough. The smaller the tank size the more frequent the water changes should be done. Anything under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day. 2.5 and more should have 50% changes at least twice/wk. If a filter is running in the tank, 50% changes once/wk are usually plenty."

Taken from the sticky in the Betta fish care section.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that's only if the tank is cycled.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #6 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amour View Post
Are you kidding me? 2 100% water changes A WEEK? You want me to kill my Betta don't you?

"A betta tank should never need 100% water changes unless working with medications. Too drastic of a change in water params can cause illness and death to any fish. Bettas can withstand more than the average tropical fish, and 50% changes are good for them if done frequently enough. The smaller the tank size the more frequent the water changes should be done. Anything under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day. 2.5 and more should have 50% changes at least twice/wk. If a filter is running in the tank, 50% changes once/wk are usually plenty."

Taken from the sticky in the Betta fish care section.
That really shouldn't matter unless your tank is cycled. I changed 100% of my bettas water every 5 days for like 6 months with no problems
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

An edit clearly needs to be made to the article you quoted.

Not doing 100% changes on a small uncycled tank is really harmful to your fish. Eventually the ammonia will build up in your tank and will kill your fish despite doing water changes. Only cycled tanks should get 50% changes.

A 1.5 gallon is really too small for a betta anyways. The minimum recommended is 2 gallons.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #8 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amour View Post
I change my 1.5 gallons every 2-3 day 100% water change bare bottom tank and remove waste from the tanks daily with a turkey baster.
SaylorKennedy is an experienced member on here and she takes great care of her fish, AND has beautiful tanks.
Be respectful,no one wants to kill your bettas.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote