Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 
shemetz

Question does a filter mean no water change?

i just got a ten gallon tank and if i have a filter do i have to do water changes?
shemetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Yes, regardless of filtration water changes still need to be made in a closed system. Even when you see clear water this doesn't mean safe water, you still have build up the organics (DOC's) and other nasties that you can't see or test for.
Filtration provides water movement and helps to pick up the larger debris and the filter media is where the good bacteria set up house and colonize to help in keeping ammonia/nitrite at safe levels and without water changes the tank can crash, nitrate and other things can build to unsafe levels and soon the livestock will suffer.
Maintaining quality water from regular water changes is one of the best ways to prevent most problems IME.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #3 
dukie1346

Definetely. Without a filter, full 100% water changes would be necessary often. With a filter, it allows good bacteria to grow to help with water quality like ammonia, nitrates, and nitrates. I suggest you read up on cycling :)

With a filter in a cycled tank, you would still have to do water changes weekly, but only about 30% or so with a vacuum syphon. It's a lot easier than 100% changes every other day or 2.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #4 
shemetz

ok
shemetz is offline   Reply With Quote