Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #11 
Kylelouis929

You must breed the fish yourself and hope the fish fits the criteria for each category!
Kylelouis929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Yes, that's true. You can buy a good quality pair from a breeder, breed the fish and if the offspring meet the right standards and form then you can show them.
Most of what is on AB is no where near show quality. Show quality is a term that describes a fish that measure up pretty close to the IBC standard. You have to know the standard to know if you are getting a quality fish. And most are obtained for breeding not being pets. Best recommendation is buy what you like and don't worry about so called show quality unless you are going to breed against the standard and show.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #13 
daniella3d

Well it's not so crazy, that how the dog and cat world work. You can buy a show quality cat or dog and definitely show it and win prize with it. The cat or dog can become champion and it does not matter who's showing it.

wierd that it does not work like that for fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
They should do a breeder handler things with fish. I breed the fish and give them to someone that wants to pay to show them. As long as I the breeder gets credit for being the breeders let the Fish handler get some credit for picking out a good fish to show. HAHA Just a crazy Idea I came up with.
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #14 
Basement Bettas

Showing is not about the fish. It is about the breeder. The points are for the breeder. Grand Champion is the breeder that wins the most. Fish are NOT dogs, cats or horses. It is TOTALLY different. You do not see names if fish and grand champions after them. You see champion breeders.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #15 
daniella3d

I see. But they do have pedigree with bloodlines etc don't they??

I guess you don't have registration like cats and dogs either. This is very interesting. I can understand why the merit would go to the breeder because it takes a great deal of knowledge and probably lots of instinct involved in just choosing the right fish and mating them together. With so many different genetics for colors, shapes and patterns, it must be a real challenge to breed something predictable and beautiful for showing.

AS for me, I leave this to the breeders as they are doing a great job on it, and I buy the fish I love to enjoy it as a pet. You said the fish on Aquabid are not of show quality...if so, I can't imagine how beautiful a show quality fish is because some of those on Aquabid are extremely beautiful to my untrained eye!
daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote