Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #1 
BartTheFish

Question Ottos

Please tell me a little about ottos.. and where the best place would be to get one...

Last edited by BartTheFish; 06-29-2010 at 02:18 PM.
BartTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #2 
Adastra

Otos are very sensitive algae eating catfish--many are wild caught and are therefore unwilling to accept most prepared foods. Due to their sensitivity and their very particular eating habits, they only belong in stable long-established tanks that have a constant supply of algae. And it is not only about having some algae, it is about having the correct types--of the algae that can occur in the aquarium, otos are particular about which types they will eat.

Because of their algae needs, I also believe the bigger the tank the better--larger tanks have much larger potential to produce algae. Also, otos are a social species that should be kept in groups of at least three.

As for where to get them, that can be tricky. Many otos are starving before you even bring them home from the pet store due to lack of algae.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 
BartTheFish

Well I was planning to put one alone with a single male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank
Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #4 
Adastra

Not a good idea, in my opinion. The oto would probably starve, be harassed by the betta in such a small space, and would be stressed out because it had none of its own species to socialize with. If you want a tankmate for your betta, I suggest a single nerite snail.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #5 
BartTheFish

I heard that snails would be the last thing I would want.. They make a horrible mess and are quite hard to clean up after.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #6 
Adastra

Almost all of the big waste producers are algae eating bottom feeders, though most do not eat exclusively plant matter. The oto would produce a fair amount of waste if it were given enough algae to eat to sustain it. If you don't like the look of additional poop in your tank, nor want to deal with the possibility of an increase in ammonia, I suggest leaving your betta in the tank on his own. It is a common misconception that bottom feeders are particularly helpful--they typically produce a lot of waste, and the poo they produce is just as unsightly as a bit of algae.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #7 
BartTheFish

k thx for the help

Tags
betta friendly, companions, ottos