Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #1 
FloridaBettas239

Post Before you breed your pet store betta!!(Read

Most, if not all of us, got our first betta from a pet store. They are beautiful fish and have great personalities... why not breed him/her? In fact, there are many reasons why this is often not a good idea. Here are some things to consider before you breed your fish.
  • Many bettas sold in pet stores (usually just the males, but sometimes the females too) are either past or at their breeding prime. After the age of about one year, the risk of deformities and/or weak fry increases. How long have you had the bettas you want to breed? If they were 6-12 months of age (like most males are in pet stores) when you first got them, how old are they now?
  • The genetic background of pet store bettas cannot be known (besides the obvious based on their appearance). Pet stores bettas come from mass-producers/suppliers (unless yours is an exceptional mom-and-pop place and gets fish from private breeders which is usually not the case) so they are not at all carefully bred. What if your bettas carry genes that result in many deformed fry? Are you prepared to deal with this?
  • One spawn can and often does result in hundreds of betta fry. Are you prepared to raise that many babies to adulthood? Do you have live food, a big enough growout tank, and enough jars if at least half of them are male?
  • Pet store fish (namely veiltails and crowntails) are not, by any means, in great demand. Many pet stores' shelves are filled with bettas rotting in their little cups because they get more in than people buy. People are usually not willing to pay to have pet store fish shipped to them, so you will need to find homes locally. Selling to pet stores is not recommended because this is just contributing to the "betta-in-a-cup" industry that we all know and hate. Do you know enough people to give your fry to? Or do you live near a good pet store to give them to? Do you trust this pet store with your babies, and are you willing to chance what kind of homes they end up in?
  • If you do not have the money or sources to get a good set of bettas i suggest you hold off breeding for now you will only be hurting the breed the fish and the pet store's do a good enough job at this i no you think its fun an cute to have baby animals and stuff but the breed will suffer in the end the betta breed thank you everyone
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You make good points and I agree to a point, however, any and all the problems you listed can still occur in well bred Betta with attach genetic as it will in the mutts that most people buy at their local shop.

The Betta in-a-cup are only meant to be temporary homes just as the overstock display tanks other species of fish are housed and sold from.

IMO-I don't think it is fair to compare housing needs in domestic fish-vs-wild fish, the longfinned Betta we buy today is in no way looks like its wild cousin, this is a man-made fish of sorts, you won't see a long finned betta we have today in the wild unless someone put it their.

Regardless of breeding lines of the fish I am of the opinion that everyone should spawn "responsibly" at least one species of egg laying fish while enjoying this hobby and IMO store bought fish are fine to use unless you plan to show and if you are wanting to show....join the IBC and your local Betta club.
And-resale can be equally hard regardless in my experience unless you have a plan and connections.

I do disagree with the age of the fish in the pet store, growth and development in masses for re-sale are much faster than you think, most Betta on the shelf are closer to 3-6 months of age and prime for breeding, (my home spawned males are near fully finned by 3-4 months of age and females bred at 4 months).They are mass produced for the re-sale market and the longer they keep and feed them the less profit they will make, turn-over is fast, growth is fast, sometimes too fast and this is often why we see so many problems, you have a baby in an adults body, however, you also have to think about the life cycle, they don't live for 25 years and so they have to grow fast, reproduce young before their life cycle ends and this can be as young as 1 year to 3 years.

I for one- don't want to be controlled and told I shouldn't or that it is a bad idea to do something because its not pure bred or unknown genetic, how do you think we got what we have now, someone experimented and made them and still do. Why should a hobbyist be criticized for our own experimenting to create something beautiful and new as long as we are responsible and have a plan.
IMO-nothing wrong with the store bought fish and they are fine for spawning and for pets, some even show quality, maybe you don't know the genetic background and maybe you will have some duds but soon you will know the lines just as the ones that come with a piece of paper that you hope is a true statement and an honest breeder, not all are...mutts can be beautiful...just look at your Betta......they don't know they are mutts....and who are they that call them mutts.....they are 100% Betta after all and someone knows whos their daddy....
They all started some place and why not start some place at your place

I do agree-that if you do opt to spawn to do it responsibly and have a plan and to be aware that you may not make any money, in fact it may cost you a lot more than you make and if you are lucky you may get store credit at a local pet shop at a rate of 10 cents a fish and 1 dollars if they are special. Yes, they will be kept in a small temporary cup and they may die in that cup from poor water quality at the pet shop or in someones home, sadly that is part of breeding any live animal..once out of your hands anything can happen, you have no control.
And breeding involves death and culling of the unwanted and deformed and if you can't do that you don't need to be breeding any live animal, too soft of heart can lead to an animal suffering and that is cruel. Life and death issues/choices are never easy and a breeder has to make these hard choices everyday.

Not arguing....... just making statement on my opinion and experience in this hobby.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

I am just saying i have heard people feeding the young bettas to large fish because they couldnt find a home for them or dont have room for them and i couldnt give away a store bought betta on craigslist or aquabid or ebay but i put my halfmoons on there and there gone as fast as i post them and for the other ones i have a drip system so if people dont have room for them then dont breed and there is a lot of animals that change in captivity from there wild brothers but you dont see people just breeding them to who ever and whatever with no regard for the animal with out trying to better the breed if anyone really cares about bettas they would want to better them and mabey spend an extra 5 or 15 dollars and get a good betta if you plain on breeding if you dont then get a store bought one i still have store bought in my house im not going to throw him out because of that i mean theres just so many people out there that say they care but dont its like lets breed black bears with polar bears and then with some brown bears just because..... i dont make money at all most months on my fish room after the power bill and water bill and fish food all that good stuff i do it to make better bettas better finage and better fourm and i sell them so there can be a good blood line of bettas out there and yes the papers can be a lie but if you no the ibc standards you can spot a store bought from a show betta over a cell phone camera im not saying to not buy them bettas i have bought them just because i felt bad for the betta in the cup all bettas i sell at my local pet store and i no the owner i have a shelf with 10 bennie baby boxes there almost a gallon each i think there clear like plexi glass and when one sells i replace it with a new one and the ones that dont sell i switch them out with some new i hate the betta in a cup deal and then pet stores tell you they like small areas because there territorial and stay in one spot in the bowl it just adds to futher suffering but everyone has there own opinion
Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I believe that people should breed responsibly, whether it's petstore bettas or show bettas. Some people breed and then get 100 or more babies, then end up disposing of most of them because they only had room for 10-15 or couldn't find homes for all of them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #5 
dipsydoodlenoodle

I would love to breed my male but the sad fact it I don't have the space and I don't want to have to go killing them off because I was too stupid and didn't have the space in the first place. If you don't have space then no breeding simple as that!
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #6 
Felessan

people should breed responsably i would love to breed my pet store (petsmart) betta but i can not stand the thought of not finding homes and killing them or having them in a little cup for even a day! so i do not plan on breeding and i probably never will.
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #7 
Alexanderismylife

I also would love to breed my bettas but 1.Don't have the space 2. Don't have anyone to give the fry to. 3.I don't want to risk any of my bettas dieing :[ So I will probably never breed my bettas.
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I don't believe in breeding pet store fish. To me I equate it with breeding a dog from a puppymill, yes it might be cute, hey it might even have papers, but in the end you have no clue what kind of genetic defects it is carrying in its DNA that may not show on the fish itself.

That being said if someone wants to take that risk that is their prerogative. As long as they do their research and actually know what they want out of the breeding as opposed to "I wonder what I'll get if I mix Mr. Fishie with Lady Fish".. IMO if you are going to bring ANY animal in this world that has the potential to end up mistreated you better be darn sure you have a goal and a reason for bringing that life into this world.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have a problem with having a dog from a puppy mill as long as it's never bred. I'll buy my next dog from a reputable breeder though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

The problem with you not caring about getting a dog from a puppy mill, just because you dont breed it. But you still put money in that no good breeders hand's and opened up a new spot for somemore puppys that go threw hell. If everyone would stop buying dogs from these people then they would have no reason to breed and it would at least slow them down. Just like if everyone stop buying the betta in a cup then the stores would have no reason to carry them. WE cant stop them but we can slow them down one fish at a time.