Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #1 
BettaNubRandyLove

Would something like this work as a light?

I can't really use anything electric lights because my dad already hates the fact that my filters hog the electricity. I was wondering if something like this would work that I could stick to the lid. It may be too bright though. I need the lights for a planted tank I'm starting.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dorcy-4AA...specifications
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

I had one of those a while back I used as a reading lamp.. The light is decent, probably ok for undemanding plants, but I only used mine a couple hours a night, and the batteries were dead in a few weeks. So the cost of batteries would be far higher over time than a little 10W plugin light.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #3 
BettaNubRandyLove

Ok thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #4 
Betta Nut

Just for ammo to tell dad, here are what I use on my 10 gallon planted tank with an architect lamp: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Energy-...t-3pk/21695141 It's estimated cost per year is $1.20 based on 3 hours a day, so times that by 3, and he'd have a whole whopping $3.60 per year more on the light bill.

Maybe you could give him a five dollar bill and say keep the change :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

Hahahahahahahahahaha. I'm dying. I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

If you use the CFL bulbs the electricity cost is absolutely minimal because they use a different wavelength of energy that is not currently charged for by the electric company. This is why they label the packages as 75 watt **equiv**, but they're actually using something like a 15 or 20 watt range of currently charged for power. At some point I'm sure the electric companies will cotton on to this, but for now...you're in the black. ;)

This is what I use on all my tanks in terms of lights:

These are 20 longs and I use one clip on desk lamp per side, "hood" is a piece of plexiglass I purchased from Home Depot, but I'm probably going to switch over to glass because it's clearer, and doesn't warp from the heat of the lamps. :)
If you go with plexi, just flip them over once a day to prevent/straighten out the warping. :)

These are the CFL bulbs (some people are unsure of what they are)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/FeitElectr...-Bulb/23896213

Just make sure you get the *daylight* bulbs, and I like the 75 watt equiv because they're brighter. With that setup you can grow just about anything, including the more high-light requirement plants. If it's super high-light you may not quite make it, but most stuff is fine for this. :)

I hope that helps! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #7 
BettaNubRandyLove

Thanks I really appreciate that.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #8 
givemethatfish

Not to be argumentative, but CFLs don't use a kind of energy that the electric companies just aren't wise to. They use less energy because they emit at least 5 times as many lumens per watt used as incandescent bulbs.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #9 
TerriGtoo

lights for planted tanks

Wow! Your Dad sounds tough! Do some research on the wattage your filter uses, I'll bet it's very little per month. Since you won't have a whole lot of light I'd suggest sticking to crypts, java fern and anubias. i've had good luck with Red Melon Sword on a low light tank as well.
When you look at it, in the long run, an LED light set up burns very little electricity. i've replaced all my flourescents with LED lighting and the bill has gone done remarkably. As a matter of fact I'm picking up my last 48" light after work today.
LED lights do cost a bit more but in the long run they are cheaper. You can sometimes find used ones on Ebay. several of mine I bought used and they are perfectly fine.
I hope it all works out for you. Planted tanks are so awesome! I love growing plants and fish so I have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
I can't really use anything electric lights because my dad already hates the fact that my filters hog the electricity. I was wondering if something like this would work that I could stick to the lid. It may be too bright though. I need the lights for a planted tank I'm starting.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dorcy-4AA...specifications
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #10 
BettaNubRandyLove

Thanks. He's not really that tough its just that. A- I sleep with the lamp on ALL night. B- I have a heater on in my room almost incessantly. C- Filters, heaters, blah blah. Ect... He just doesnt want me "wasting" energy.