I'm sure most of you know that Walmart takes awful care of their fish, here is my adventure...
Today I went to Walmart and was looking at aquarium stands which had no price anywhere in sight btw. I told myself not to look at the fish for fear of what I would see but I looked anyway. The first thing I saw was goldfish in the bottom corner of their tank eating a bunch of dead ones. Then as I knew I shouldn't have done, I looked at the betta fish. Their water wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be until I looked over and saw one cup filled with brown/yellow water. It was the nastiest water I had ever seen. I picked it up, sure that if there was a fish in there it would be long dead. The fish inside was alive! He wiggled and looked at me. Now, I know the whole thing about buying a fish from Walmart only creates more demand, and that another fish will be put in his place but I could NOT leave him in there to die in his own filth. So, you guessed it, I bought him. His name is Gus. He is in very bad shape but is more active than I anticipated. Who knows when the last time he ate was so I treated him to a few freeze dried blood worms which he ate. He is in his temporary tank right now. I'm pretty sure he has inflamed gills. I will be getting the things I need to treat him tomorrow. Lets hope he makes it! I have attached some pictures of him in the Walmart cup he was in, in the dark picture, the clumps at the bottom are his feces