Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #1 
aquafin

Unhappy filthy :(

I'm sure most of you know that Walmart takes awful care of their fish, here is my adventure...
Today I went to Walmart and was looking at aquarium stands which had no price anywhere in sight btw. I told myself not to look at the fish for fear of what I would see but I looked anyway. The first thing I saw was goldfish in the bottom corner of their tank eating a bunch of dead ones. Then as I knew I shouldn't have done, I looked at the betta fish. Their water wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be until I looked over and saw one cup filled with brown/yellow water. It was the nastiest water I had ever seen. I picked it up, sure that if there was a fish in there it would be long dead. The fish inside was alive! He wiggled and looked at me. Now, I know the whole thing about buying a fish from Walmart only creates more demand, and that another fish will be put in his place but I could NOT leave him in there to die in his own filth. So, you guessed it, I bought him. His name is Gus. He is in very bad shape but is more active than I anticipated. Who knows when the last time he ate was so I treated him to a few freeze dried blood worms which he ate. He is in his temporary tank right now. I'm pretty sure he has inflamed gills. I will be getting the things I need to treat him tomorrow. Lets hope he makes it! I have attached some pictures of him in the Walmart cup he was in, in the dark picture, the clumps at the bottom are his feces
[IMG][/IMG]
aquafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

Poor little guy. Glad you saved him.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #3 
Polkadot

I'm really glad you saved him too.Geez,the conditions the poor little bettas & other fish have to live in in many of those stores makes me so angry/sick.I don't understand how they get away with it,they should be stopped from selling them and really should be charged with cruelty/neglect.I am so glad that stores like K Mart,Big W etc here don't sell live fish,it is completely wrong in every way for the poor little buggers to be treated so terribly.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 
BettaLover1313

I hope he gets better, as he's certainly a fighter to have lived in those conditions for who knows how long. I'm sure he's already much happier with all you've already done for him.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Wow, he actually looks pretty good considering his ordeal.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #6 
aquafin

Thanks guys, I got him some API Tetracycline, he looks like he has inflamed gills from a bacterial infection. I also got a 2.5 gallon with filter for now. He seems to be doing a lot better. Half his body was white and is already returning to his pretty blue but his head still has black on it (the other side that's not shown in the picture). Hope the meds and tank improvement work! I will update in a couple days/week or so and let you know how he is doing.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafin View Post
Thanks guys, I got him some API Tetracycline, he looks like he has inflamed gills from a bacterial infection. I also got a 2.5 gallon with filter for now. He seems to be doing a lot better. Half his body was white and is already returning to his pretty blue but his head still has black on it (the other side that's not shown in the picture). Hope the meds and tank improvement work! I will update in a couple days/week or so and let you know how he is doing.
I would hold off on the tetracycline. Antibiotics are so overused in fish it's getting to the point it's hard to find ones that work when the fish really needs it.

Likely the red gills are from ammonia poisoning.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #8 
aquafin

Gus is doing very well :) He was bubble nesting for me this morning and he loves music lol. I bought him a whisper filter but the cord goes all the way down the filter....that kind of freaks me out are there any cords that can go in water??
Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #9 
aquafin

Disregard last question about whisper filter. Gus will be moving into Wilbur's 5 gallon which has its own filter. Wilbur is no longer with me :( I do not want to get into detail about Wilbur right now :'(.