Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #11 
frogipoi
Member
 
frogipoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ....
????? Females and females don't always go together..
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #12 
TheJadeBetta
Member
 
TheJadeBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arkansas
To house females, you need lots and lots of hiding places. Always a minimum of six, and if they don't work out. You will need to be able to separate them.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #13 
Adastra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
JadeBetta has a valid point, even though the tank CAN sustain a high number of bettas--keep in mind that you will constantly have to be checking each betta for injuries or signs of weakness, and any that do not play nice will have to be removed and housed permanently in another tank. Sometimes this means you have to remove multiple females. Do not get so many females that you won't be able to house them all separately if things don't go as planned.

Keeping a sorority is only for experienced keepers that understand female betta behavior, and should be thoroughly researched before attempted.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #14 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
this is completely unreasonable, as dividing a 29 gallon aquarium 15 ways would leave you with almost no horizontal space. keeping an aquarium this tight cleaned or even decorating it would be a huge feat. I couldn't even imagine putting more than 3-4 in it.
u would only put 3-4 in a 29-30 gallon??

thats just ridiculous that is useless?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #15 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeBetta View Post
To house females, you need lots and lots of hiding places. Always a minimum of six, and if they don't work out. You will need to be able to separate them.
of course i understand this. i know the basics. i want to go above and beyond like up to 20 females in at least a 55 gal or a little lower. also i know that i will need lots of caves live and fake plants:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #16 
Adastra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
You realize that out of 20 bettas not all of them will work out. It's not really practical to do this because you will need to be able to check up on every fish at least twice a day and take out any that have sustained injury. Even if the injury is minor, it is instinctual for aggressive fish to pick off weakened individuals. I think that 20 females in a 55 would be very difficult to manage. At most, I might do half that. 10 females and a school or two of dither fish to distract the females. It would be much more practical.

I don't think Mizzle's suggestion is unreasonable and useless--30 gallons happen to be rather tall, unless yours has breeder dimensions, and this would leave the bettas with very little swimming space. It wouldn't be practical to divide, and if you did, you could only really do it 3-4 ways.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-04-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #17 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
JadeBetta has a valid point, even though the tank CAN sustain a high number of bettas--keep in mind that you will constantly have to be checking each betta for injuries or signs of weakness, and any that do not play nice will have to be removed and housed permanently in another tank. Sometimes this means you have to remove multiple females. Do not get so many females that you won't be able to house them all separately if things don't go as planned.

Keeping a sorority is only for experienced keepers that understand female betta behavior, and should be thoroughly researched before attempted.
yes i understand. but i feel i should do my own observations and try it out. (i dont mean to offend u or be 'ignorant',) but i feel like i know my females really well and i want to attempt it. but dont worry im going to be doing research. anyway im not doing it any time soon it was just an idea. yes i will have to keep checking on my bettas but that YOU DEFINITELY WONT AT ALL NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME CHECKING ON THEM. im consistently just looking at my jewels for hours a day:)....also i have many suitable homes for the "meanies" lol.

another thing is i kinda take that offending when you say "keeping a sorority is "only" for experienced keepers that understand female behavior"

i only see it as an insult because that "is true" but its "not true" also, only because you could be have the most basic knowledge of females such as, "they are territorial" and you can run the most successful sorority in wherever and make very minimum mistakes. then even if you do a BUNCH of research, you never know if it is false research or not. and you could make more mistakes tand you would have with the basics or vise versa.

i understand what you mean and i personally think that you are totally right.

(if i did insult you in any way at all tell me and i will correct because those were not my intentions)

yes you have very good logic of looking at things in diff. perspectives but there is other ways too. do you understand what i mean?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #18 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You realize that out of 20 bettas not all of them will work out. It's not really practical to do this because you will need to be able to check up on every fish at least twice a day and take out any that have sustained injury. Even if the injury is minor, it is instinctual for aggressive fish to pick off weakened individuals. I think that 20 females in a 55 would be very difficult to manage. At most, I might do half that. 10 females and a school or two of dither fish to distract the females. It would be much more practical.

I don't think Mizzle's suggestion is unreasonable and useless--30 gallons happen to be rather tall, unless yours has breeder dimensions, and this would leave the bettas with very little swimming space. It wouldn't be practical to divide, and if you did, you could only really do it 3-4 ways.
yes yes yes, im trying to get it through ppl. that i understand that i need more information and i intend on doing so. yes out of 20 bettas probably only five would work out but this would be MY experience will my sorority. yes i know that i will need to be able to check on my fish as many times as i feel i need to. i will need to check on them. yes and they do it because of many reasons not only because they are territorial. i am not a very busy person so i could manage them and have the time to analyse them. and even if i wont be able to manage lets say 20 females in a 55 gal then i will learn from my experience ands will try again untill it works for ME. i mean every betta is different RIGHT??? and how would we even know any thing about these fish and their behavior if someone didnt use their own experiences and acts. i feel that i could handle it and im going to try it but not soon. because of other reasons that will go off topic.


when you said "I think that 20 females in a 55 would be very difficult to manage." i dont mean to be "ignorant but personally that is ONLY YOUR opinion and i know that im asking it but i think that it wouldn't be that hard to manage. i could pull it off with my analysis's.

(read the above post)

"At most, I might do half that. 10 females and a school or two of dither fish to distract the females. It would be much more practical."

yes it would but i want to try the entire thing all 20 that i could find that
would actually work. and a school of dither fish???? wat is that? any way a school to distract the female would work a lot too

wat is a dither fish??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #19 
Learn To Fly
Member
 
Learn To Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
this is completely unreasonable, as dividing a 29 gallon aquarium 15 ways would leave you with almost no horizontal space. keeping an aquarium this tight cleaned or even decorating it would be a huge feat. I couldn't even imagine putting more than 3-4 in it.
I was going by gallons, yes, if you had 15 bettas there would be hardly any space in the front/back, however like I said I was going by gallons and wasn't thinking of dimensions. However, you could keep 3-4 bettas in a 10 gallon and take up less room. If you're going to have a 30 gallon you should use it to its 'full potential'.

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  6.7 KB

If you didn't have the tank next to a wall but elsewhere, you could divide the tank in half lengthwise and then house 4 bettas on each side. That's still a little less than 4 gallons each and they have adequate swimming room. The dimensions of a 30 gallon, or rather a 29 gallon, are 30"L x 12"W x 18"H so this would work.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #20 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
I was going by gallons, yes, if you had 15 bettas there would be hardly any space in the front/back, however like I said I was going by gallons and wasn't thinking of dimensions. However, you could keep 3-4 bettas in a 10 gallon and take up less room. If you're going to have a 30 gallon you should use it to its 'full potential'.

Attachment 14264

If you didn't have the tank next to a wall but elsewhere, you could divide the tank in half lengthwise and then house 4 bettas on each side. That's still a little less than 4 gallons each and they have adequate swimming room. The dimensions of a 30 gallon, or rather a 29 gallon, are 30"L x 12"W x 18"H so this would work.
i agree with you. and if you have that tank set up that way, you could put it in the middle of a room an it would be a very unique and just different way of setting a tank up you could have three on one side and three on the other or 4 on one side and the other as well and ppl. would come in and see a very unique set up tank:)

see?:D but its a 30 gallon LONG NOT HIGH so it could work
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.