Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #11 
frogipoi

Betta tails grow back! I don't think his tail will be as beautiful though...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #12 
Adastra

I'm sorry if I sound rude or blunt, but you're about to get some tough love.

If you don't have the funds to treat one betta's illness, you should definitely not be breeding bettas. Betta breeding is expensive, and even professional betta breeders often don't even break even despite selling off many fry. It's risky, and obviously if you have a betta with an ich infestation there have been lapses in care for the bettas you already own. If you can't care for the fish you have, I simply fail to understand why you would want to potentially give yourself the burden of caring for possibly dozens to hundreds of fry.

I'm glad you decided to stop your breeding project. You should really take this time to reassess the care you're providing for your ich infested fish, and make sure you have enough time and money to care for the huge amount of fish you might acquire as a consequence of breeding. I'm sorry that your fish was injured, and I hope that he will recover with clean water and salt.

Just out of curiousity--Do you have a clear goal with breeding, if you don't mind me asking? What are you trying to accomplish--more marble plakats? Better finnage in your plakat line? Do you plan on using these fish for showing? For selling? Trying to establish a new line? You should have a clear goal when you begin breeding fish, and you should do it with stock whose genetic history you know, so that you can predict the result.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #13 
frogipoi

Angry NOT to be rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I'm sorry if I sound rude or blunt, but you're about to get some tough love.

If you don't have the funds to treat one betta's illness, you should definitely not be breeding bettas. Betta breeding is expensive, and even professional betta breeders often don't even break even despite selling off many fry. It's risky, and obviously if you have a betta with an ich infestation there have been lapses in care for the bettas you already own. If you can't care for the fish you have, I simply fail to understand why you would want to potentially give yourself the burden of caring for possibly dozens to hundreds of fry.

I'm glad you decided to stop your breeding project. You should really take this time to reassess the care you're providing for your ich infested fish, and make sure you have enough time and money to care for the huge amount of fish you might acquire as a consequence of breeding. I'm sorry that your fish was injured, and I hope that he will recover with clean water and salt.

Just out of curiousity--Do you have a clear goal with breeding, if you don't mind me asking? What are you trying to accomplish--more marble plakats? Better finnage in your plakat line? Do you plan on using these fish for showing? For selling? Trying to establish a new line? You should have a clear goal when you begin breeding fish, and you should do it with stock whose genetic history you know, so that you can predict the result.
I agree. Low money and expensive breeding is not good.You could kill bettas that way!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote