Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #1 
Terranariko

Does someone know about dwarf puffer fish?

I've done some research and now I'm confused...some sites say 5 gallon is enough for one or two, others say you need bigger or smaller. Some say freshwater some say saltwater, some say feed them only snails, others say mix their diets. And others say you can't keep only one, and then others say they get agressive.

Can anyone explain the basic needs of a dwarf puffer fish? I know they grow up to a inch or something long, I know they need a heater/filter, I know they need heavly planted tanks. I'm pretty sure I know the diffrence between male and female...I might be a little off with it though, so if someone can give me a basic diffrence between them.

Also from what I know this is a dwarf puffer fish.

Also if anyone owns some...can they tell me if they really puff up like their relatives?
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2 
CodeRed

Vaygirl has one. (: Try PMing her or dropping her a comment.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Dwarf Puffer (C. travancoricus) and that pic looks to be female, need at least 5g tank, freshwater, however, some of the puffers sold are brackish or salt this one is a freshwater species.
You keep them same as you do the male Betta splendens-a single fish per tank, mean little bugger with tons of personality just like the Betta.
They will blow-up/fill with air(not explode) and they need to always be kept under water so not to fill with air.
They need foods to help keep their tooth worn down too and common snail will help do this and one of their favorite foods, neat watching them attack and eat them. A lot of puffer keepers will also keep a tank just for raising snails and often it can be hard to get them to eat some foods, but not always..each are different just like the Betta.
Really cool fish to keep and only get about an inch and meaner than all get-out even to their own species
Also, be careful with copper based medication as they are a bit sensitive to copper and most chemicals for that matter.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #4 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Dwarf Puffer (C. travancoricus) and that pic looks to be female, need at least 5g tank, freshwater, however, some of the puffers sold are brackish or salt this one is a freshwater species.
You keep them same as you do the male Betta splendens-a single fish per tank, mean little bugger with tons of personality just like the Betta.
They will blow-up/fill with air(not explode) and they need to always be kept under water so not to fill with air.
They need foods to help keep their tooth worn down too and common snail will help do this and one of their favorite foods, neat watching them attack and eat them. A lot of puffer keepers will also keep a tank just for raising snails and often it can be hard to get them to eat some foods, but not always..each are different just like the Betta.
Really cool fish to keep and only get about an inch and meaner than all get-out even to their own species
Also, be careful with copper based medication as they are a bit sensitive to copper and most chemicals for that matter.
So my 5 gallon tank will be enough for 1? and it will be happy living alone? Does that include male and female? so it doesn't matter if I get a male or female they will be happy living alone?

Also like you said, I can just feed it snails right? since it's their natural diet?

also...is there any type of bottom feeder I can put in the tank that it wont try to eat?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I pm'd you all this but I wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is looking. Pretty much what oldfishlady said is my routine. He gets snails that I raise in Tango's tank weekly. Other then that his staple is frozen bloodworms. He just now started taking frozen mysis shrimp.

I've read the same conflicting info you have about keeping them together and here's my take on it: The safest course is to keep them alone and take no chances. Huey is perfectly content in his 6 gallon and happy as a clam.

I know they're tiny but 5 gallons is the minimum. What people don't mention is how amazingly messy they are for such little guys. Their metabolism is ridiculous. You can feed them until they look like they'll pop and they literally can't fit another worm in and in two or three hours they're poo-ing away and their bellies are back to normal. They spit worm skins out when they're full and they get all over the tank. It's like feeding a teeny shark.

50% weekly water changes are a must for the messy lil buggers. They're so much fun though and very interesting. Mine eats from tweezers and comes right up for feeding. He's awesome.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #6 
onefish2fish

these guys def. have a personality esp when hunting snails. i suggest sand as your substrate so they dont swallow gravel while attacking snails.
be careful not to confuse one for a figure 8 puffer which looks similiar but needs brackish water.
i have never witnessed one "puff" but you do NOT want that to happen anyways as it restricts their breathing and isnt healthy for them. that is a defense tool and not something to make them do so you can say look what my puffer can do. again i have never seen this species puff up, so dont count on it, and def. dont encourage it. snails are a good diet, as well as live blackworms. i would attempt to offer a mixture of foods. they truely are nasty though and will nip other fish, no question about it.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #7 
Sinamongal

As far as a bottom feeder goes I don't think there would be one suitable for only a 5 gal tank. Cory cats get to be around 4 inches they need plenty of room to swim and are best kept in a small shoal. Otos are small they max out I think around and inch maybe inch and a half,but again small shoal of them. The puffer may pick on them due to size.
Sinamongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #8 
Welsh

Haven't you go to watch out for prickly plants too? I heard that as they don't have any scales sharp plants can damage their skin.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #9 
vaygirl

I only have live, soft plants so I never considered it. Also, regarding onefish's post, I've never seen Huey puff either.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #10 
Terranariko

Sorry I chose not to get one.