Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #1 
AndyUK

Bubblenest/Flaring

Got a question, left for work this morning, got back tonight and found this

According to my partner he has been building it all day, why has he? is he ready to mate? happy with his tank? or something else? since he has been in the tank he flares a bit at the front and left side of the tank, but more so with the bubble nest, when the light is off he is ok. He doesn't flare all day long but when he does it only seems to last a minute or 2 then he calms down, its weird because he can swim up and down the tank next to the glass and it doesn't bother him, he rests next to the glass and doesn't bother him, so could it be his reflection or something else making him flare?

I don't want him to flare too much in case he hurts himself, when i bought him they did say he seems pretty aggressive and had to be separated from the tank because he was chasing the other fish
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It's an instinctive behaviour for betta males. The flaring could be because he is seeing his reflection, but the increase in flaring is probably to do with the bubblenest. Many of my males would become noticeably more defensive if they had a nest somewhere.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #3 
AndyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It's an instinctive behaviour for betta males. The flaring could be because he is seeing his reflection, but the increase in flaring is probably to do with the bubblenest. Many of my males would become noticeably more defensive if they had a nest somewhere.
It probably is his reflection he sees. Its just strange that i have had other males in that tank and have never seen them flare in it, but no betta is the same.

So why has he built the nest?
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Most likely because in every animal there exists the drive to procreate and building a bubblenest is a step in this process.

I do think that a betta male that is healthy and comfortable in his environment is more likely to build a nest than one that is not. However, I have seen fish in dirty cups working on nests so I think it's more an instinctual behaviour than a definite indication of 'happiness'.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote