Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #11 
JDragon

They look similar to my ramshorn snails. They will multiply quickly if they are allowed to and lay egg clusters.... EVERYWHERE. Even on leaves and on floating cups(betta inside). I don't mind them yet. My husband likes the snails.
I have 5 large ones in with my betta and they have a lot of babies that I just pull out and put in one of the other two tanks(55 and 10gallons) until the population gets too much. They're good algae eaters. Babies can be eaten and my husband's boy survived eating a few...
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #12 
Joey Fish

It sounds cruel, and I dont want to offend anybody, but I just throw them outside, the birds and other local wildlife,(lizards,snakes,mice,etc.) get a good meal.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #13 
Reagan

I have noticed that they multiply like crazy. I am sure they are himaphroditic (I sure I spelt that wrong). I think I may jave an albino snail...if that is possible. It is very pink skinned with a white shell.
Reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #14 
umarnasir335

Lots of questions, but they're all good ones, so I'll try to answer :)

1. It is best to do at least 2 20-25% water changes for a NEW planted tank. You dont have to do them, but they are recommended since your tank will cycle faster and the plants will adjust quicker. Also, I wouldn't add fish until at least the 3rd week after cycling.

2. Ferts aren't absolutely necessary. Java Fern, Anubias, Wisteria, and some others will do fine with either an inert substrate like pea gravel and a lack of liquid ferts like excel. However, if you do decide to plant medium light plants such as ludwigia or rotala, i would get some Root Tabs, possibly DIY Osmocote ones.

3. Snails can be good for algae/ debris maintainence. I have about 3 trumpet snails in my 20 gallon, and they are worth it. The pond snails that you have can breed very quickly though, so I would keep an eye out for any egg sacs in the near future.

4. See #3 :)
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #15 
Blue Fish

I've had ramshorn snails ever since I started keeping plants, and they've never overrun a tank for me, so they must self-regulate either through food or breeding...or something. ;)
I'll find some dead shells every now and again, just remove those and you're good to go. :)

They're great for algae and cleanup, and after an experience of a tank without any snails...I won't do a planted tank without them anymore! :) They're an important piece of the ecosystem you're creating. :)

As for the albino, they do come in pinks, but for some reason mine never seem to live very long. I find the pink shells far more often than I do brown ones. No idea why.

(Hermaphroditic) ;)

Pond snails are tiny, they won't ever get very big. Ramshorns on the other hand are much larger, and they have a circular/spiral shell. They'll get to be about a half inch. The picture that you've shown looks like a ramshorn.

You can get aquarium root tabs, or you can use regular plant fertz sticks like for houseplants, just break off little pieces and stick them deep into the gravel. Peachii realized this some time back and has had no trouble. :) (Also, much, much cheaper, always a plus!) :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #16 
Reagan

Thanks for the information! It is helping.
I tested my water and all the results came in good. Jasper is cruising around the tank, checking everything out. It is just all so new and he looks so excited!
The vallisneria plant is thriving and shooting out many new sprouts. I am sure I will have a jungle in a few months.
I have been doing small weekly water changes. What is the rule around the tanks water changes now that it is cycled (it is filtered, live planted and heated (not sure this makes a huge difference))?
Reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

Keep testing your water. When the nitrATE levels get too high (like 25 or above) then do a partial water change. After you test for awhile you'll get a feel for when they get up there and so you can stop testing and get your time frame down. :)

But, with the plants you may not need to change water much at all because you may end up with a silent cycle. (The plants are eating up all the ammonia which means you won't have any nitrites or nitrates to worry about, yay!!) Same thing though, just keep testing the water. If you start seeing zeros all the way across, then you're good and you can just put in new water as evaporation calls for or as needed when you vacuum the gravel every now and again when it starts to look mucky.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 AM   #18 
umarnasir335

Like Blue Fish said, the fact that plants do SO much to maintain stability within an aquarium is the reason I'll never do a non-planted tank.

What other species besides the vals do you have in the tank right now?
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #19 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
Could my betta eat the snails? Hahahaha he would. Which is another reason why I want to get rid of them because the tank is supposed to be his new home and if the snails will harm him if he ingests them, I really don't want them in there. I identified the snails as pond snails.
My female bettas wiped out the large population of pond snails in my 55 gallon. They didn't eat as many of the ramshorns, but I would occasionally find empty ramshorn shells on the bottom.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #20 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
It sounds cruel, and I dont want to offend anybody, but I just throw them outside, the birds and other local wildlife,(lizards,snakes,mice,etc.) get a good meal.

Eehh, not the best idea. You'd be introducing an invasive species into the environment. I'd much rather throw them outside if I were to get rid of my pest snails, but I don't want to introduce an invasive species- especially since they multiply so quickly.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote