Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #11 
Blue Fish

Narrow leaf anachris is also a quick grower, easy, can be low or high light, and can be floated. :)

I also like redroot/salvinia if you want true floaters. Not sure how they'd do with a filter...but they're big, the leaves are fairly small, a little bigger than the head of a pushpin (those big colored pins used for bulletin boards), but they grow in connected clumps of one to two inches long. The roots are red and hang below into the water. My bettas love this because it provides surface cover. :)

Oh, and babytears can float. They normally come potted, but they can just as easily float, they get long and tangly and perfect for betta to swim up and hang around in. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #12 
umarnasir335

Great plants for beginners:

Bacopa carolina (I swear by this stuff -it is the only stem plant that I find impossible to kill besides Wisteria)

Java Fern - grows slowly but will survive anywhere as long as you don't bury the rhizome. With good lighting, it multiplies. I get a new plantling on a leaf pretty much every week.

Anubias - same as the ferns, don't bury the rhizome. I like to tie these to driftwood and let them attach to it over a period of 6-8 weeks. The downside is that some species can be pretty expensive for being a beginner plant :(
umarnasir335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #13 
Sabina88

Thanks for all the ideas, ill look them up when i get home
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #14 
Blue Fish

I love www.tricker.com for plants, and I found a guy on ebay I ordered from yesterday...he's gotten lots of really good feedback, but I can't vouch for him personally until my stuff comes in. BUT, in the meantime, here's his profile:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/manuelpino20...84.m1439.l2754

I hope that helps! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #15 
OrangeAugust

My favorite floating plant is green myrio. I used to get it at Petsmart- they called it "Frill Plant"... but none of the Petsmarts near me have plant tanks anymore. I've never seen it at Petco in their tanks.
It's similar to hornwort but much finer and has longer needles. And it can be planted in the substrate also. Hornwort can't.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #16 
Sabina88

So I went to petco today to pick up some more filter inserts and I saw that they were selling java moss. I always wanted to get some but I could never find any in stores, so I got one :) They sold them in little cups (Simaler to the containers that you get the soysauce and sweet and sour sauce in when you get Chinese food. I was actually surprised how long it lasted. I had enough to put a small chunks on a rock in my three 2 gallons and a rock in my 40 gallon.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote