Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #1 
rpadgett37

Plants nearly settled - Suggestions welcome

Posted this in a different forum, but meant to post it here. (If you run across it elsewhere, sorry about that).

I've pretty much settled on the following plants for my Fluval Edge 6 Betta tank. I am setting it up be an easy maintenance planted tank as I have learned from experience, lots of trimming in the confined space of the tank creates a real mess that is near impossible to keep up with.

Here we go. Open to suggestions on other low light, reasonably compact (about 8"), non-invasive carpet plants.

Anubias Nana
Anubias Petite
Anubias Minima
Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Peacock Moss
Java or Xmas Moss (nooks and crannies of the driftwood.

Might keep the water level down a little from the top of the tank to keep Frogbit. Love that little plant. Using a sand substrate so Crypts are out. Will be a black water tank

Thanks in advance
rpadgett37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #2 
G26okie

Dwarf sagitarria is pretty ez to take care of and has a nice bright green color to it.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #3 
JDragon

Peacock moss - never had it myself, not easy to find(or wasn't when I looked...)
I'm still working on a carpet plant that will survive without CO2 myself... all of the rest seem fine. I have anubias and java moss/fern with no issues, even under my droves of frogbit. My frogbit roots are getting insanely long though.

Last edited by JDragon; 03-25-2014 at 11:58 AM.
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #4 
peachii

JDragon, you can just cut those frogbit roots off, won't hurt the plant at all. They will grow back and when they do just cut them again. They constantly reach the substrate and grow into the dirt bottom in my no tech 2 gallon cookie jar.

OP- Dwarf Sag has in my experience been a great carpet plant for anything 10 gallons and under and 20 longs. Not to tall of a tank and it will stay little, about an inch and half to 2 inches tall (if that) and spread pretty fast. It makes a lovely carpet and so far has been my favorite in all my tanks. Since I'm low tech

I am trying Dwarf hair grass in one tank but it spreads so slow it might be carpeted in that tank in about 10 years.

S. Repens from Petsmart is also another great carpet but it does grow kind of slow. It's a really pretty front plant and can even make bushes with it if it get to tall. Very, very easy to trim just get some scissors and clip them off but not so fast growing that you will need to do it often.

Also crypts love sand substrate. Really easy to feed them, just pop a root tab underneath them about once every 2 or 3 months. Root tabs don't have to be expensive either - 99 cents at Wal-Mart - Jobe's plant spikes, I use the household plants kind in my tanks. I break one spike into 4 or 5 pieces and then stick it deep underneath the plant i want to feed.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #5 
sponge1234

Peachii, do you still put root tabs under the crypts even if it is a soil based tank?
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #6 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge1234 View Post
Peachii, do you still put root tabs under the crypts even if it is a soil based tank?

After 6/8 months or so yes, I wind up putting some in. If the crypts aren't growing, show curled leaves or pinholes in the leaves they probably need root tabs. I try not to let them get that way so just feed them when I think it's time.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote