Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #31 
Cody27

Was just looking at reviews for NLS Betta Formula on Amazon and some folks complain that the pellets are too big. Well, if they are the size of the pellets in Hikari and Omega One, our betta sure won't have a problem sucking them up and eating. On the other hand, the Tetra Mini Betta Pellets we use to feed him were anything BUT "mini"! I can just pick up one pellet of the Hikari or the Omega One out of the container. The Tetra pellets seemed like they were the entire size of our beta's mouth! Right now, looking to order on Amazon, NLS Betta Formula 50g.

Our Petco sells NLS, but not this kind and no other LFS sells NLS at all. From what I've read, NLS Betta Pellets are the BEST on the market........what do you think? Also wondering how many of you feed more than one brand of pellet to your betta? I read that "diversity" is a great thing in a beta's diet and I would have to think that mean a couple of different brands of pellets since the other food (frozen or freeze-dried) are for treats only, not a meal by itself.
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #32 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody27 View Post
Was just looking at reviews for NLS Betta Formula on Amazon and some folks complain that the pellets are too big. Well, if they are the size of the pellets in Hikari and Omega One, our betta sure won't have a problem sucking them up and eating. On the other hand, the Tetra Mini Betta Pellets we use to feed him were anything BUT "mini"! I can just pick up one pellet of the Hikari or the Omega One out of the container. The Tetra pellets seemed like they were the entire size of our beta's mouth! Right now, looking to order on Amazon, NLS Betta Formula 50g.

Our Petco sells NLS, but not this kind and no other LFS sells NLS at all. From what I've read, NLS Betta Pellets are the BEST on the market........what do you think? Also wondering how many of you feed more than one brand of pellet to your betta? I read that "diversity" is a great thing in a beta's diet and I would have to think that mean a couple of different brands of pellets since the other food (frozen or freeze-dried) are for treats only, not a meal by itself.
Mine spit out the regular NLS, so I went online and found the NLS for small fish. I got them at http://www.aquacave.com
They are real small along the lines of Hikari, so my guys are not having a problem with them at all.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #33 
vanderdecker

Just checked the ingredients of the fish food that came with my Aquafarm; it's by HomeGrownPonics:

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, High Omega-3 (DHA) Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Kelp (organic certified), Spirulina, Garlic, Astaxanthin (haematococcus algae), Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), DL Alphatocopherol (Vitamin E), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboavin Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc.
vanderdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #34 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderdecker View Post
Just checked the ingredients of the fish food that came with my Aquafarm; it's by HomeGrownPonics:

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, High Omega-3 (DHA) Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Kelp (organic certified), Spirulina, Garlic, Astaxanthin (haematococcus algae), Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), DL Alphatocopherol (Vitamin E), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboavin Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc.

That's the Northfin food. Excellent ingredients list.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #35 
vanderdecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
That's the Northfin food. Excellent ingredients list.
So I guess they just repackage Northfin product?
vanderdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #36 
jaysee
Reference Team

it's the same ingredient list, so apparently so.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #37 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just for fun, check out the ingredients for Repashy Meat Pie from Allan Repashy, the reptile food maker.

INGREDIENTS: Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Squid Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Seaweed Meal, Lecithin, Spirulina Algae, Schizochytrium Algae , Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Citrate, Betaine, Taurine, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #38 
jaysee
Reference Team

Betta Food Variety AND Amount?

It's got taurine in it - for more active fish

But no wheat!

Last edited by jaysee; 03-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #39 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Right.

Comes in powder form because it's a "gel" food. But has no gelatin. Uses seaweed, kelp and bean gum to set up solid as it cools. I think it's great. Wish my fish did. They won't touch the stuff. Maybe I'll try again with garlic.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #40 
givemethatfish

How do we feel about the Repashy foods?

http://tedsfishroom.com/store/produc...food-meat-pie/
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote