Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #1 
Serox

Exclamation What about half gallon tanks?

I have a half gallon tank with no filters for my Betta, do you guys think it's ok to have it there? Bc I can't afford any other tank. I want to know how often do I have to change the water and if 2 little plastic plants are ok for my Betta?

Well my Betta did die last night, 4 of July and I was so sad... he was floating and not moving much for like 2 weeks or more, he seemed to be very sick, and the last night before he died I saw him really sick, he was like breathing to much, I knew he was about to die but couldn't do anything what can I do if this happens to me again? to make him get better.
Serox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #2 
XrAdEr

5+ Gallons recommended i heard...

Petco is still having their Dollar Per Gallon Tank...10 bucks for a 10 gallon tank...

I don't mean to be rude but...if you cant get a better home i suggest you laying off buying Bettas...just going to make em suffer :X..but thats just my opinion..

Goodluck man :)
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #3 
Serox

Thank you, but I love them! so I will still buy anotherone for my half gallon tank and hope this one lives for a long time. My last one was 2 months old and I was so sad after he died :( I mean rly sad...
Do u guys get sad to when ur bettas die?
Serox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #4 
Owlets

2.5 gallons is the minimum size a betta should be in really, though I prefer mine in bigger tanks. And like XrAdEr said, lay off buying bettas if you cant afford a bigger tank. They'll just suffer.
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #5 
MustardGas

Don't get another betta if you don't have the proper habitat. Bettas aren't build for small, cold tanks. If you really love them you'll wait until you have the money to get a proper home for them, it's quite selfish to bring home a creature that you can't properly take care of. We give you this advice not to torment you or to get sick, twisted pleasure from depriving you of bettas, but because we know that the same thing will happen again and again if you don't change your ways.

You wouldn't like it if somebody stuck you in a tiny closet in the arctic in only a t-shirt and jeans.

Last edited by MustardGas; 07-06-2010 at 05:48 AM.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serox View Post
Thank you, but I love them! so I will still buy anotherone for my half gallon tank and hope this one lives for a long time. My last one was 2 months old and I was so sad after he died :( I mean rly sad...
Do u guys get sad to when ur bettas die?
If you can't afford to give the betta a proper home, you shouldn't get into the hobby. I love tigers too, but I wouldn't try to bring one into my backyard...if you get what im saying.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 
Mizzle

on a side note. I used like a 3 gallon clear rubbermaid container as a tank for a long time and it worked really well. If you can't afford a real tank, maybe look to something like this for an alternative. I found mine in my families garage holding some old books in it 0_o
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #8 
Adastra

Keeping bettas is not cheap. Unless you are willing to invest a certain amount of time and money into the hobby you should simply appreciate them vicariously through someone else that can. If you still want a betta, save your money to buy the things that you need--buying good quality products the first time will be cheaper than buying just what you can afford then, and upgrading it later.

Rubbermaid/Sterilite plastic storage bins are a great idea, they're only about $2-$4 each, and come in various sizes. The smallest I would ever recommend is 2.5 gallons.

In order to have a betta, you must have a heater. I suggest a 25 watt hydor theo or similar. These heaters are only $15.29 on http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com which is very reasonable. You must also have a good dechlorinator, such as Prime or Amquel+, high quality food, and decor for your fish to hide in and provide behavioral enrichment. You must also test your water with a liquid master test kit, which are about $30 each, or commit to have your water tested often at a fish store for free. This is how you will work out your cleaning routine depending on the size of the tank you get.

If you have any sympathy for living creatures other than yourself, you will not get another betta for your half gallon tank. These tanks are cruel and very difficult to maintain--it is highly likely that the next fish will suffer a horrible, painful death drowning in its own waste.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Follow all previous advice.
A half gallon is a horrible thing for even shrimp to live in.
You could also go to walmart and look for the 2 gallon Heritage Hill jar from Mainstay. =] it looks like this:

It only cost me $9.50. =] It's a great temporary home till you can buy the Aquaculture 5 or 10 gallon Kit from Walmart! =] Look in your fish section! =] They cost about $30 and $40 respectively. =] add the price of a marineland heater at $30 (Petsmart, or online for like $17), Gravel at around $5, water conditioner at around $5, a gravel vac for $5 (a nice small one is at Petsmart I reccomend a smaller one. =]), and food at around $3. you've only got to spend around $100 dollars up front for a fish.

After that though it's only about $10 dollars a month with electric, water, and food to keep taking care of it. =]

It cost a LOT more up front and long term to care for a dog/cat/furry or reptillian friend. =/

Or you could just get a big clear storage container permanently though it would be harder to enjoy your fish as it wouldn't be as easy to see them. =/

You could also just get the jar in the picture, an adjustable heater(I suggest marineland's 25 watt stealth heater or the 25 watt hydor theo) , and a penplax small world filter http://www.petco.com/product/3199/Pe...ld-Filter.aspx. It's on sale for $5 and other users here recommend it if I remember correctly. in fact at this price I may just buy one. =]

If you're going to buy a real tank though I HIGHLY recommend buying one from PetCo now what with their dollar per gallon AND 4th of July sale. =] That is if you live near one. I unfortunately live nowhere near one. =[

Get em while the gettin's good! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #10 
Little Marlin

i have a 2.5 gallon and love it. you really should either lay off bettas or go to petco. a 5 gallon for $5 . you cant beat it!
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote