Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 
Sylerwin

Talk me out of it.

Seriously want to get another betta fish, recently... I used to have a ton of tanks but because I'm off to college in the fall I tried to combine tanks to limit how much my folks would have to take care of when I left.

So I did that, and now I have space for a tank.
And all the goodies needed.
So, I just need the fish.

But, I shouldn't get another fish.

...But I want one.

Darn these guys are addicting. TALK ME OUT OF IT BEFORE I MAKE A STUPID DECISION AND PISS OF MY PARENTS.

Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

You won't find many people try to talk you out of it. Perhaps that's why no one has posted yet

Don't do it.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) How do YOU feel about your parents taking care of your fish while you are gone?

2) How do your PARENTS feel about taking care of your fish while you are gone?

And.... right there you probably have two reasons why you shouldn't do it..... Yes, Bettas are addicting. But it would likely be best to either kick the addiction for the next 4 years, or go to a school where you can bring your tanks.

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #4 
TheSplishSplashery

Can you take the betta with you to school? For example, I myself live in student housing and have a 5 gallon, a 10 gallon + 5 gallon spare for misc. stuff (breeding,quarantine,medicating). We have a no pets policy in my building, but fish are allowed. Technically the limit on tank size is 5 gallons, but I work for the residence building in the office and I know that the limitation is to keep people from putting snakes or lizards in the tanks and saying "the handbook said I can have a fish tank, it didn't say it had to have FISH in it..." and my RA's can clearly see that I have water and fish in my tanks so there's no danger of snakes. I actually do have a corn snake here with me, but I just hide him in my closet when they come to inspect my room so shh no telling on me!
If you can't take your fish with you, maybe it might be best not to leave it for your parents. I only have two small tanks and they are a lot of work. I don't mind because they're mine and I find careing for them soothing, but if the tanks weren't mine and I wasn't a fish person I would loath them because they are so much work.
TheSplishSplashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its unfair & selfish, IMO, to ask others to take on my responsibilities. I understand it depends on the circumstance, in this situation I wouldn't do it. You'll have plenty of time & such once you're done with college to have as many as you'd like.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #6 
Tree

My sister doesn't want anything to do with my fish at ALL. They are hidden in my room away from everyone. She even threatens to put them together to fight if I ever got another. (she would never) but that is enough to make me not get another betta. XD

I wouldn't get another one yet if I were you. Maybe keep the tanks for the future when you come back from college?
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #7 
Vergil

Unless your parents want the fish then no. It's just very unfair unless you're doing the caring part for your fish yourself.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote