Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 
Terranariko

glass/ghost shrimp care?

I have some questions about glass and ghost shrimp...how do you feed them? like I know waffers but how many times a day? a few times a week? what?

And are they agressive towards each other? say if I got 5 with 2 males and 3 females...will they be agressive?

And are they agressive to other types of shrimp?
Terranariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

You should try re-creating this thread on the Betta fish Compatibility forum. =] You'll get more replys and advice in there. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Out of all the shrimp I have kept, I have found that the ghost shrimp are more aggressive to each other and often/known to eat their young.

Feeding-if they are in their own tank-I feed 1-2 times a week in very small amounts and if in a tank with other fish I don't feed them per se' as they are great scavengers and why I keep them.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #4 
Terranariko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Out of all the shrimp I have kept, I have found that the ghost shrimp are more aggressive to each other and often/known to eat their young.

Feeding-if they are in their own tank-I feed 1-2 times a week in very small amounts and if in a tank with other fish I don't feed them per se' as they are great scavengers and why I keep them.
So with my bettas I don't have to feed them? that seems...mean actually...should I still feed them a waffer every now and then just for a boost?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, I should have been more clear, with a single betta you would want to feed them at night when the lights go out a couple of times a week- because you should be removing uneaten food, but with the shrimp if you leave a pellet or two from the betta I would call them fed, they don't eat much and you don't want to foul the tank.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #6 
Terranariko

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear, with a single betta you would want to feed them at night when the lights go out a couple of times a week- because you should be removing uneaten food, but with the shrimp if you leave a pellet or two from the betta I would call them fed, they don't eat much and you don't want to foul the tank.
So betta food is suitable for shrimp? I didn't know that...um...it's possible for me to give the shrimp a pellet each anyway...I'm just more worryed the betta is gonna try to steal it from them...

I'd still feel better giving them their own food...but I guess if thats what you do it seems to work.

ok then good to know.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I don't feed my shrimp that are in tanks with other fish due to them being scavengers and I want them to clean up any uneaten food, but the shrimp only tanks I will toss in a bit of my homemade food 1-2 times a week, nothing special, my tanks are also very heavy planted with soil substrate.
Any food should be fine due to them being scavengers, but nothing wrong in getting them their own food either, I seen that a new shrimp food has came out in the DrF&S catalog, haven't heard anything about it- good or bad.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #8 
Terranariko

Quote:
I don't feed my shrimp that are in tanks with other fish due to them being scavengers and I want them to clean up any uneaten food, but the shrimp only tanks I will toss in a bit of my homemade food 1-2 times a week, nothing special, my tanks are also very heavy planted with soil substrate.
Any food should be fine due to them being scavengers, but nothing wrong in getting them their own food either, I seen that a new shrimp food has came out in the DrF&S catalog, haven't heard anything about it- good or bad.
ok, good to know that, I'm most likely gonna stick to them being scavangers...