Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #11 
Npinja

How did you make your pellets sink? I couldn't seem to get mines to sink, even if I crush them up?
Npinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #12 
nancxpants

I used to have ghost shrimp that "piggy-backed" on my betta when he was being fed and caused fin damage, so if your fish isn't biting himself then this might be the case for you too. Feeding your shrimp a sinking before you feed your betta might help by distracting them so they don't go for the floating food.
nancxpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #13 
HuntFishRepeat

Thank y'all for the advice! I cut out the salt, added another plant, paid more attention to Popcorn, and also feed the shrimp so they're not as hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npinja View Post
How did you make your pellets sink? I couldn't seem to get mines to sink, even if I crush them up?
Try pushing the pellets down by hand. Also, you should go to your local Pet Co or other fish store and look for New Life Spectrum. I didn't know what the fuss was all about until I started feeding the fish. Also, these pellets sink within a minute so the shrimp can feast too.
HuntFishRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #14 
beautiful Betta

The other thing I will mention is some of your plants look plastic, Betta's fins can easily get caught on plastic plants and torn. silk or real are the best where Betta's are concerned.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #15 
moome1649

I have a betta named Milhouse and I added 3 ghost shrimp in my tank. What happened was the opposite he owned all 3 shrimp and ate them. He's pretty badass.

If you want his fins to grow back ASAP add a tablespoon of almond leaf extract in your water per gallon (this can make your water brown which is natural if you don't want to turn your aquarium brown transfer popcorn into a hospital tank). If he's not used to it I think its the right time that Popcorn should get used to Almond leaf!

This is what pros do to condition their bettas in Thailand before a fight and it has a lot of natural vitamins and minerals for betta fishes. This is a natural remedy for sick bettas so don't waste your money with fancy brands. If your betta has a parasite this can be the best defense.

I also have a Bruce Lee Plakat ( I call him Bruce cause he's black and yellow like the jumpsuit that Bruce wore) He's tough like a brick and very aggressive.
I was transferring him to another tank and he got stressed out and next thing I noticed is that his caudal fin was torn. Only a tiny bit but still noticeable. I Added a tablespoon of the extract and the next day I was amazed his fins are back in shape and it only took 1 day! Yes only 1day! Try it out this might help. Hope popcorn becomes an awesome warrior like the Bettas I have

for more info about Indian Almond Leaf check this out:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...n-almond-leaf/

PS:
you can also let the leaf float on top of your aquarium it makes it more natural and when it sinks just leave it the minerals go into your water and do its thing. My bettas also uses it as a bed at night which is cool!
Attached Images

moome1649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

IAL has a lot of beneficial attributes for Betta and any other blackwater fish, but it's not a cure-all. Fish self-repair their finnage. If they didn't, they'd be handicapped and their lives would be shortened.

It would be interesting to see the difference in fin recovery between a fish in clean, warm water and one in clean warm water with IAL. I'm not convinced there would be much difference.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #17 
HuntFishRepeat

Well, I no longer have ghost shrimp. I bought 4 ghosties thinking Popcorn would eat at least one or two. Instead, he is too docile and let them own him.

This morning I woke to find Popcorn had torn his fin more than he'd ever done. Then during feeding I watched as two of the ghosties took turns latching onto Popcorn's fins. I decided it must have been the ghost shrimp getting bolder and messing with Popcorn even when I'm watching!

What is sad is that these ghost shrimp get at least 3 or 4 NLS pellets a day!! I would have been fine tossing the shrimp to some birds out my back window, but I did not know if the other two in the tank were responsible as well. I ended up taking them back to the Petco I bought them from.

I do regular water changes and get my water tested. Water is fine, temperature is fine. I have removed the plastic plants and the ghost shrimp. Let's see what a little TLC does for those fins!!

QUESTION: Should I add a tad bit of salt to help prevent infection?

Thanks!
HuntFishRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #18 
Npinja

I don't think that salt will be needed. All you have to do is siphon 1/2-2/3 of the water per week, keep the temperature constant, and I think he will do a nice job healing. If you start noticing a tiny bit of fin rot, be prepared to give him a little salt bath.:)
Npinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Npinja has the right idea. Salt is not good for Betta. Only use it if you see defnite signs of infection. Even then, I'd try Stresscoat first. Actually, if the fin infection were really bad, I'd use Bettafix before I'd use salt. That's just mu opinion.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote