Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #11 
Serox

Well I buy purificated water in the supermarket for my tank, do you think I should use dechlorinator anyways?
And yeah that last one I had was sick for about 2 weeks before he died, I always saw him sleeping to much all day, I knew he was sick, but didn't know any remedy to try make him feel better and dont let it die

He was my 1st betta and died 2 days ago, he lived for 2 months and 2 days and I suffered him alot when he died like if he was a dog or a cat, I still see my empty tank with water only and get really sad... (that's why I want to buy a new one that looks kinda like him) I hope I can surpass this... Dunno if I am crazy or not for crying for a fish, but I get in love very quick with everything that has a life.

And Thanks!!! to all the people giving advices to me :)
Serox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #12 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serox View Post
Well I buy purificated water in the supermarket for my tank, do you think I should use dechlorinator anyways?
And yeah that last one I had was sick for about 2 weeks before he died, I always saw him sleeping to much all day, I knew he was sick, but didn't know any remedy to try make him feel better and dont let it die

He was my 1st betta and died 2 days ago, he lived for 2 months and 2 days and I suffered him alot when he died like if he was a dog or a cat, I still see my empty tank with water only and get really sad... (that's why I want to buy a new one that looks kinda like him) I hope I can surpass this... Dunno if I am crazy or not for crying for a fish, but I get in love very quick with everything that has a life.

And Thanks!!! to all the people giving advices to me :)
Yes you need dechlorinator because most water has chlorine and chlorimines in it whether it's purified or not,

I understand the pull to get another betta. I wanted to get one to take alakazam's place in his tank but I thought about it for a second and decided that with my schedule it was best to only have one because I couldn't properly care for 2.

I think you need to make a similar choice now. =]

PS not crazy atall to cry for something you love, no matter what form it takes, be that person, furry friend, or fishy friend. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #13 
wallywestisthebest333

do you live near a petco? petsmart? walmart?

All are great places to get the supplies you need and all are having 4th of july sales now...=]

How much money do you have available now? because the setup have now for genie only cost me $45. =] He's in a hurricane vase (about to be put back in the 2 gallon jar) with only dechlorinated water and the marineland heater. =]
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #14 
Serox

Yeah I live close to those shops like Wal-Mart (like 20 mins away)
And I actually think my tank is 1 gallon not half, not sure.

I dont have a heater and filter, does it matter? cuz I can't afford it and I think a filter for a 1/half gallon tanks isn't good.

Last edited by Serox; 07-06-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #15 
Betta Slave

No, you don't need a filter for that small of a tank, but starting at 3 and up gallons you might want to consider a filter.

Heaters are necessary. Bettas nees them. But how can you fit a heater in a half or one gallon tank?
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

A heater fits in my 1 gallon just fine.

And to be sure about your tank being a 1 gallon all you need to do is take an empty 1 gallon milk jug (the big jugs), fill it with water, then pour it in your tank. If it completely empties into your tank with a little room to spare then you've got a 1 gallon. if it's less than that it's not 1 gallon.

you could also get a tetra 25 watt submersible heater from walmart for $15. It'll be near the 30 dollar 5 gallon kits and the bettas.

The tetra heater is also pretty small and it fits well into 1 gallon containers. You MUST keep it fully submerged though as it has no failsafes to keep it from cooking your fish if it's exposed to air.

Do you have a really big pickling jar? like the kind you pickle eggs in? If so then you could rinse it in really hot water a few times, let it cool, then just use that.

Filters aren't nessesary but if you don't get one you'll have to do daily water changes for a 1 gallon.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #17 
Serox

Well I think it's half gallon then. Do I really have to change the water daily?
Entirely or just half? Bc I bought 1 gallon for each month and change water 2 times a month and I think it's fine, the water doesn't get dirty so fast, but maybe I can change the water every 10 days, is it ok?

And my tank is like those big tanks like this [__] but little and plastic.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #18 
XrAdEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Marlin View Post
i have a 2.5 gallon and love it. you really should either lay off bettas or go to petco. a 5 gallon for $5 . you cant beat it!
Actually 10 gallons is the lowest they have and when i bought mines it turned out to be around 16 dollars w/ tax D:<
XrAdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #19 
Betta Slave

Oh, okay, sorry wwitb333, I wouldn't know. I don't have any 1 gal tanks atm.
Yep, you have to change the water entirely daily- waste builds up quickly. 2 times a month is much too little. It's daily for a one gallon tank.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #20 
wallywestisthebest333

Yes you have to change the water daily. a fish poos and you feed it daily. the poo and food break down into ammonia which is poison to fish and if you don't do a daily water changes it'll kill your betta just as quickly as the last one.

If you get a bigger tank you won't have to do daily water changes. especially if you have a filter. you could do weekly ones.

The shape doesn't really matter as long as it's not really tall. Bettas breathe at the surface and it's better if they don't have to swim a long way to get there.

Please go read the FAQ. Most of the questions you're asking can be answered there: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

About having enough money to buy a proper home for your fish so you don't have to do daily water changes and the like, you could just buy one thing every couple of weeks (when you get paid if you have a job). You could save up allowance and buy things every couple of weeks. Or you could ask for all of the equipment for your birthday/a holiday and spend time between now and then researching to make the best home and life possible for your pet.