Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #1 
Betta Slave

What is the maximum age for breeding?

I'm asking this because, even though this is a long way away, I am thinking of breeding Murdoc and Tallulah-Faye. In some places, I've heard the maximum age is six months. Others, 2 years. I'm a little confused.
(And I know that pet store bettas can be, or are usually, a little older.)
Thanks!
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm sure everyone has his/her own opinion. As far as I know most tropical fish (theoretically) incl. bettas, sexually reach adulthood at six months (though many females would spawn at a younger age). But I'm not sure how old they would stop producing eggs (I usually only spawn my females 3 times because they produce more males during the first 3 spawns). I recently spawn my 1.5 yr old female and she laid eggs like young females do. The important thing is that your fish is in good health.

I prefer to talk about its size, not age. I begin to spawn them at about 3.5 cm because my females are very fat/thick. Once they reach full size, my males often have difficulty embracing them. So by the time they reach full size, they would have spawned 3 times and thus go into a sorority/community tank. But sometimes I want/need their genetic codes and spawn them again.

I hope this helps.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

I would say 3.5 months to a year would be the safest time. After that your going to be facing a higher risk of genetic deformities, etc. Every animal has the ablility to breed when its older but just like humans the older the couple (the female in particular) is the more risks are involved.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Alright, thank you both This helped me a lot.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote