Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #1 
Stormfin

Betta's and cory's

Today I got my second betta and have him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a peppered cory catfish the seem to be getting along. Is it recommended to keep a betta with another fish in that size of tank?
Stormfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #2 
nacho

I've read in multiple, multiple articles and posts that five gallons is a very good size to start off with for a betta. As 2.5 g is half that size, I would say it is too small for two fish to live in. If possible, I would suggest getting a larger tank. For the best quality of life for your cory, how about buying two companions for him? I read groups of three is the minimum number that cories should live in. I hope this helps.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #3 
Stormfin

I've read that as well about cory's. In my ten gallon tank i have three, i thought of putting my betta in that tank but I'm not sure if he'd be compatible with some of my other fish.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
nacho

Would it solve the problem to put the cory in the 2.5g with the rest in the 10g and leave the betta to himself?
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 
Stormfin

i want to have some type of "cleaner" in the betta tank though
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 
Adastra

It is a common misconception that "cleaner fish" are helpful in all aquariums. In this situation, all the cory is doing there is making the tank messier, really. In a community tank you're feeding a lot of fish, and inevitably some uneaten food falls to the gravel--the cory simply eats this excess food.

In a betta tank, you shouldn't really be feeding this way--pellets allow you to easily control the amount you put in the tank so little to none of it goes uneaten. Having to add extra food for the cory is really just making your tank messier, defeating the purpose of having a "cleaner fish." You should also be siphoning your gravel to remove any uneaten food or waste--trust me, a siphon is much more effective than any catfish.

I also don't believe it's humane to keep schooling fish in such low numbers. They're naturally social fish, and without others of their own kind they can't express their natural behaviors--they often become stressed and do not live as long. I highly suggest moving this cory to your other tank and keeping the betta by himself. Keeping the cory alone in that little tank would be a bit selfish.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #7 
Stormfin

so i'm getting that i should remove the cory. what about adding a Nerite snail?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #8 
Adastra

The nerite should be fine, I'm glad you're going to remove the cory, he'll be much happier with the others. Best of luck. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #9 
Stormfin

thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #10 
Sarada

I have 3 corys in a 5 gallon with my betta, their food makes a big mess, they do not help with cleaning.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote