Betta Fish Forum banner

:'(

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 ·
Sid Vicious died. :cry:

I'm so upset. Out of all crap that has happened to me lately this is by far one of the worst things.

A few days after I removed him from the fry he developed ich. I was treating him with high heat and salt but no change. I decided to treat him with Quick Cure and started that 3 days ago. Today I found him dead in my hospital tank. :cry:

I don't know how I'm going to tell Mom. He was her fish and I promised her that he would get better. Everything I've ever read says that ich is easily cured and most fish get over it. I'm scared that maybe it was the medication that killed him but I can't see how since even my little fry are doing ok with the meds.

He was a healthy fish. Besides the ich there was nothing wrong. He shouldn't have died. He was so young and such a good father.. too good to be true. I had such high hopes for him and his future spawns.

I'm so discouraged. I'm almost to the point where I want to just re-home all the fish and get out all together. First with Mr. Pink, then Demetri has velvet which isn't getting better, then the Sid got ich, then the marble fry got it too, now Sid is dead. I can't take much more of this.

I just hope some of his babies make it. :BIGweepy:

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss....I know it can be discouraging-but don't give up.....we all have set-backs. I had one myself when I first got my diagnosis and lost nearly 5 years of work due to being so sick, all stock dead but 3 fish....and I had to start all over...it was hard and depressing........and now things are even better than I ever expected......

You have his offspring and in less than 6 months you will be set with great breeders and now with tons of hands-on experience...don't let that go to waste.......you are a great fish keeper an the hobby needs more people like you.....keep your chin up....sometimes things can get worse before they get better...but they will get better......hang in there......and I am sure your mom will understand...she knows you better than anyone and she knows you did all you could do and sometimes these things happen.....

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm so bummed. He was the star of the show and I had high hopes for many more spawns from him. I've even been looking at different females I could get to breed him with in addition to Nancy and any girls from the current spawn. He was such a great daddy. I just wish I would have left him with his babies.

I'm giving my Alexander and Chaos to my Mom and perhaps another fish. She bought a 20 gallon tank for Sid and I was going to set it up next week :(

#11 ·
Thanks guys. He's buried next to Mr. Pink and my childhood kitty Mr. Peach. I had to make myself look at him and I could find no sign of what could have killed him. My best guess is that spawning took more out of him than he let on and since I did not continue to condition him but went back to normal feeding he just never got back to prime condition. He never let it show and I only saw 3-5 ich spots on him at any one time.

I have my GABBA meeting tomorrow and I'm going to ask the other breeders what they think. After that I'm going to bleach everything that Sid touched. Eros has really bad fin rot so I'm going to move him into the 5 gallon and try salt and partial water changes. I was trying full water changes but they stress him out so much and I don't want him dieing on me too.

#14 ·
Thanks guys.

I've decided I'm moving on. I got a gorgeous little female today from one of the people in my betta group. She's a great match for Rio so I'm starting to condition her right away for spawning. Rio also needs to be re-conditioned.

Hopefully some of Sid's fry will have what he had and I can get back what I lost, if not well then I'll just have to start searching for another. For now I'm just going to focus on the fry I do have and do one more spawn this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.