Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #71 
Adastra

All of these problems have very easy solutions. People with larger tanks have gravel vacuums/siphons like this: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...89&pcatid=3889
using this simple tool, you can drain water into a bucket, and at the same time remove the fish waste and uneaten food from the gravel. All you have to do is start the siphon and then empty the bucket, then pour new water in the tank. Done. As you can see, small siphons are only a few dollars. And when you only need to remove 30%-50% of the water, I'd take this any day over carrying tanks to the sink. Remember, when your tank is cycled you no longer need to do any 100% changes.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #72 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serox View Post
But the thing is when u have to do 100% water changes, u have to clean the entire tank, u can't lift it to the sink, have to remove all the stuff inside right? or am I wrong? xD
Serox. stop for a minute.
What we're saying is that with a bigger aquarum (5 gallons and up) you'd NEVER have to do a 100% water change. And a 5 gallon is only a tiny bit bigger than a 2 gallon anyway. =] YOu might as well just get a 5 or ten gallon because once you get it cycled the only thing you will EVER have to do is a partial water change! =]
That's why I'm cycling my tank! XD I'd hate to have to do a 100% water change! Even once! So I'm gonna cycle it before I put Genie in there! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #73 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
All of these problems have very easy solutions. People with larger tanks have gravel vacuums/siphons like this: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...89&pcatid=3889
using this simple tool, you can drain water into a bucket, and at the same time remove the fish waste and uneaten food from the gravel. All you have to do is start the siphon and then empty the bucket, then pour new water in the tank. Done. As you can see, small siphons are only a few dollars. And when you only need to remove 30%-50% of the water, I'd take this any day over carrying tanks to the sink. Remember, when your tank is cycled you no longer need to do any 100% changes.

That is EXACTLY the kind of tool I use on my tanks!!! Believe me, I am NOT doing a 100% tank cleaning on my 38 gal., my 50 gal. or my 75 gal. tanks anytime soon!!!! Not EVEN on my 5 & 10 gal. tanks!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #74 
Josh12

It's better then those tiny little bowls they come in.. I went to petco the other day and they had around 25 Bettas and most of them were dead!
Josh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #75 
BlackLabelAxe

Hello all, first post here and I'd like to throw in my $0.02; I think that doing a 100% water change is always a bad idea, unless you're fighting some kind of parasite. There's just no way to minimize stress to the point where it's worth it. Temperature fluctuations can be minimized, but pH fluctuations can cause accute ammonia toxicity and again, only in the case of a disease would I ever do a routine water change of over 50%, even in a half gallon bowl!

If you use a decent sand or non-coated gravel substate and a single sprig of a linear-growing plant like anacharis you won't have problems with ammonia. Just add lighting and you can even grow any of the crypts-species of plants. All it takes is a plant or at least a place for nitrosomas and nitrobacters to live and they'll recycle most of the waste.

No aquarium will ever be perfectly balanced as a closed biosphere, which is why water changes will always be important, but 100% water changes are stressful to both owner and fish.

I don't intend to trump anyone's advice thus far because I think it's expert advice to say that larger tanks need less dramatic water changes, but you can dramatically improve your fish's environment and water quality with natural plants that are sold as bunches usually for about $1, performing virtually the same improvements to the water as a complete water change and adding functional decor that can even supplement the fish's diet as a very rare snack.

To build on the advice to date: if your tank is too small for a $1 bunch of anacharis, your tank is too small for a betta.

Cheers!
-BLA
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #76 
Lion Mom

"To build on the advice to date: if your tank is too small for a $1 bunch of anacharis, your tank is too small for a betta."

Could not have said it better myself!!!!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #77 
Serox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLabelAxe View Post
Hello all, first post here and I'd like to throw in my $0.02; I think that doing a 100% water change is always a bad idea, unless you're fighting some kind of parasite. There's just no way to minimize stress to the point where it's worth it. Temperature fluctuations can be minimized, but pH fluctuations can cause accute ammonia toxicity and again, only in the case of a disease would I ever do a routine water change of over 50%, even in a half gallon bowl!

If you use a decent sand or non-coated gravel substate and a single sprig of a linear-growing plant like anacharis you won't have problems with ammonia. Just add lighting and you can even grow any of the crypts-species of plants. All it takes is a plant or at least a place for nitrosomas and nitrobacters to live and they'll recycle most of the waste.

No aquarium will ever be perfectly balanced as a closed biosphere, which is why water changes will always be important, but 100% water changes are stressful to both owner and fish.

I don't intend to trump anyone's advice thus far because I think it's expert advice to say that larger tanks need less dramatic water changes, but you can dramatically improve your fish's environment and water quality with natural plants that are sold as bunches usually for about $1, performing virtually the same improvements to the water as a complete water change and adding functional decor that can even supplement the fish's diet as a very rare snack.

To build on the advice to date: if your tank is too small for a $1 bunch of anacharis, your tank is too small for a betta.

Cheers!
-BLA
Thank you alot!
Still I now see my half gallon tank to little... I would like to buy a 1 gallon or more tank :P

But yeah, they can survive alot in half or 1 gallon tanks, just depends of how u take care of them ;<
Serox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #78 
BlackLabelAxe

Thanks for the welcome!

I buy my bigger betta bowls at the Goodwill store. You can find all kinds of awesome glassware there for usually less than $3 a piece!
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #79 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLabelAxe View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I buy my bigger betta bowls at the Goodwill store. You can find all kinds of awesome glassware there for usually less than $3 a piece!
Sounds good!!! Since you do that, do you happen to know anything about putting a betta in leaded crystal? Is there REALLY lead in there & if so, does it leach out & contaminate the water?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #80 
Mermaid Fish

I am so happy, I just went garage saleing and got fin rot stuff,air pump,2 plants,2 air decorations,catridges,tiny bottle of conditioner,a net,and a filter for my tank, for only 3 dollars. :D
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote