Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #1 
RavePandaCore

Unhappy New betta sick :/ not sure why

My betta Kenshin lives in a 1-1.5 gal tank for now.
I just got him last week and he was having no problems till about two days ago. i just recently got my water tested at a Petsmart because i havent bought the kit yet. my water had low ph so i fixed that. He has very clear clean water at all times but he has only been in this new tank for about a day and he was sick before then. He is the only fish in the tank. He has always been by himself, so whatever he has couldnt have been from another fish. The temp is checked regularly and is around 75-78 at all times. I do not have live plants in the tank. I have an air stone and I change 25% of the water regularly. Also, I use a gravel Vac. I only have artificial lighting for the tank. Right now I feed Kenshin pellet food but I plan to upgrade to bloodworms this week.

I noticed Kenshin swimming slower about four days ago. Two days ago he started only floating on top of the water, on his side. He generally only moves to get air, and lays on top of the tall plant in his tank. I noticed a lump/bloating on his side yesterday, so I began treating him for SBD (swim bladder disorder) though I am not entirely sure that's what it is. I am currently treating him for two causes of SBD, bacterial and constipation. I have a multi-bacterial treatment and have started the "pea" treatment as well (where you fast the fish three days then feed it a thawed-out frozen pea). Today was the first fasting day for Kenshin, but the second day for the bacterial treatment. He looks really pitiful but I have seen no other signs of disease. His fins are whole, he has no parasites (that i've seen), and his gills seem to be in good condition as well.

Any help or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics of Kenshin that I took today.

RavePandaCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #2 
shinybetta

In a 1.5 gallon you should be doing 100 percent water changes everyday. When you say upgrade to bloodworms do you once or twice weekly as a treat? He could be in Ph shock From the sudden Ph change. When you say you fixed it, how did you fix it? Good idea with the swim bladder disorder treatment, that might fix it.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #3 
RavePandaCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
In a 1.5 gallon you should be doing 100 percent water changes everyday. When you say upgrade to bloodworms do you once or twice weekly as a treat? He could be in Ph shock From the sudden Ph change. When you say you fixed it, how did you fix it? Good idea with the swim bladder disorder treatment, that might fix it.
I will start doing complete water changes, thanks. And, I would mix the bloodworms in occasionally since I hear they are too fatty for regular feedings. I bought a ph increaser from the petstore to level out the ph.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems and you take great photos too.

What type of treatment are you using?

I do agree that it is most likely swim bladder related- by the way he is floating, it could be bacterial in nature, because of the angle it is hard to tell if he is bloated in the stomach area, however, you wrote that he is bloated/lump on one side...
*question-bloat lump on one side or both and when you view him from above is the lump/bloat look the same on each side or different?

I would stop the pH adjuster, as stated in the above post-the pH swing can be deadly. Fish will adjust to the pH and be fine but the sudden changes they may not be....

A natural treatment-
I would QT him if you can and remove the airstone, lower the water level so he doesn't have to struggle to swim and breath, and start making water changes, however, since you added the pH adjuster you may want to make small percent changes to start and increase the amount every hour until you reach 100% and then make 100% daily.
Epsom salt 1tsp/g along with the daily water changes can also help decrease the edema/swelling and it will also work as a laxative.
*Epsom salt treatment with 100% daily water changes for 10days, hold food for the first 3 days and then offer the staple pellet food at half the normal feeding and then every other during the treatment. Remove an uneaten food

I like to pre-mix my epsom salt in a clean 1g jug to make correct dosage and water changes easier

Water temp is also an issue, they do best in water temp of 78-80F and low temp can sometimes cause health issues, however, too sudden of a temp increase along with bacteria filled water can bring on other problems in an already weak/sick fish....so I would be careful raising the temp at this point, if you do raise the temp I would keep it at 76-78F.

Covering the top of the tank with a plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid-this can also help with the symptoms.

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degree from new and old water with water changes and use a dechlorinator with any new water added if on city water supply.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 
RavePandaCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry you are having problems and you take great photos too.

What type of treatment are you using?

I do agree that it is most likely swim bladder related- by the way he is floating, it could be bacterial in nature, because of the angle it is hard to tell if he is bloated in the stomach area, however, you wrote that he is bloated/lump on one side...
*question-bloat lump on one side or both and when you view him from above is the lump/bloat look the same on each side or different?

I would stop the pH adjuster, as stated in the above post-the pH swing can be deadly. Fish will adjust to the pH and be fine but the sudden changes they may not be....

A natural treatment-
I would QT him if you can and remove the airstone, lower the water level so he doesn't have to struggle to swim and breath, and start making water changes, however, since you added the pH adjuster you may want to make small percent changes to start and increase the amount every hour until you reach 100% and then make 100% daily.
Epsom salt 1tsp/g along with the daily water changes can also help decrease the edema/swelling and it will also work as a laxative.
*Epsom salt treatment with 100% daily water changes for 10days, hold food for the first 3 days and then offer the staple pellet food at half the normal feeding and then every other during the treatment. Remove an uneaten food

I like to pre-mix my epsom salt in a clean 1g jug to make correct dosage and water changes easier

Water temp is also an issue, they do best in water temp of 78-80F and low temp can sometimes cause health issues, however, too sudden of a temp increase along with bacteria filled water can bring on other problems in an already weak/sick fish....so I would be careful raising the temp at this point, if you do raise the temp I would keep it at 76-78F.

Covering the top of the tank with a plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid-this can also help with the symptoms.

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degree from new and old water with water changes and use a dechlorinator with any new water added if on city water supply.
I only saw the lump on one side, the other side looks normal.

Thank you soooo much for all of your advice :) I am new to betta and it is quickly becoming a passion. <3
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #6 
RavePandaCore

The treatment Im using is a all-in-treatment by Lifeguard. If it gets worse and the natural treatment doesnt help I will get a specific treatment.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

A lump on one side can be a sign of a tumor, not cancer, a tumor and usually not fatal, but a fish can be symptomatic with the growth.
All you can do is treat the symptoms and make them comfy.

I don't use OTC meds and I am not sure of how the natural treatment and medication react together, I would complete the OTC med treatment before you start the natural treatment if you chose to treat that way.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #8 
RavePandaCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
A lump on one side can be a sign of a tumor, not cancer, a tumor and usually not fatal, but a fish can be symptomatic with the growth.
All you can do is treat the symptoms and make them comfy.

I don't use OTC meds and I am not sure of how the natural treatment and medication react together, I would complete the OTC med treatment before you start the natural treatment if you chose to treat that way.
Thank you for your help. He was healing up well and beginning to swim around again. My brother changed the water for me because I was sick and he died afterward :/
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #9 
Adastra

Next time, I think you should save up for a larger tank and a nice heater with an adjustable dial. A larger tank would be easier for you to maintain, safe to use with a heater, and it will provide room for the fish to exercise and provide environmental enrichment. Bettas usually live for 3-5 years, but can live up to and around 7 years old with proper care--would you really want to change 100% of the water every day for 7 years? I highly suggest looking into getting a larger aquarium, at least 2 gallons, but preferably around 5 gallons. These are one-time purchases, but considering that your next betta may be with you for the next 3-5-7 years, it's very worth it to you as well as the fish. Doing more research on betta care needs will also help you understand what this species needs to thrive in captivity.

I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully you will learn from this experience.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #10 
RavePandaCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Next time, I think you should save up for a larger tank and a nice heater with an adjustable dial. A larger tank would be easier for you to maintain, safe to use with a heater, and it will provide room for the fish to exercise and provide environmental enrichment. Bettas usually live for 3-5 years, but can live up to and around 7 years old with proper care--would you really want to change 100% of the water every day for 7 years? I highly suggest looking into getting a larger aquarium, at least 2 gallons, but preferably around 5 gallons. These are one-time purchases, but considering that your next betta may be with you for the next 3-5-7 years, it's very worth it to you as well as the fish. Doing more research on betta care needs will also help you understand what this species needs to thrive in captivity.

I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully you will learn from this experience.
His tank was a temporary tank. I am buying a new 15 gal and dividing it for my two betta that I have now. I had fully intended on putting him in a larger tank when he was healed.

Tags
betta, sbd, sick, swim bladder disease, swim bladder disorder