Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #1 
Loisp27

Breathing

I noticed my female betta seems to be breathing heavy and does not move a lot. She comes to the top of the bowl lets out a little bubble and goes back to the other side of the bowl. Any ideas why? Thanks
Loisp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I have a few question
How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, additives, and water temp?
How long have you had her and do you know how old she is and is she the only fish in the tank?
I know lots of question but this will help us help you figure out what is going on.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #3 
Loisp27

Breathing

I appresiate your help. Here are the answers to yoiur questions.1 gallon tank
change water 1-2 times a week
last changed water yesterday
it has a filter that came with the tank
2 silk plants
temp is 88 degrees
had her 3 months, pet store said she was approximately 3 months old
she is the only fish in the tank
evertime I change the water I add 1 - 2 drops stress coat and 1 - 2 drops tap water conditioner.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would start by making some daily 50% water changes and lower the water temp slowly to the 80F range and see if she will perk up with some fresh water and cooler temp.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #5 
Adastra

Fish constantly excrete ammonia through their gills as waste, kind of like the fish version of urine. In a small closed system like this one, the ammonia builds up very fast to the point that it can burn this fish. This can cause gill problems as well as other sicknesses. The only way to remove all of this ammonia is through more frequent 100% water changes. For a tank this small, you'll probably want to change the water and clean the tank at least three times a week. You should get a liquid test kit so that you can determine with certainty that this routine is getting rid of all of the ammonia.

For now, I would take OldFishLady's advice and do some daily water changes. 88 is a bit high, so if you can find a cooler, stable place in your house, that would help also. In the future I suggest you look into getting a larger tank, at least 2.5 gallons, but ideally 5 gallons. This will make your life easier and allow the betta to have a heater and more room to exercise--please consider it.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #6 
Loisp27

I changed the water Saturday and Sunday and the temp is running 80 to 82 degrees. She looks fine and she is not breathing as heavy but she still is not moving around like she use to. I have not seen any poop on the bottom of the bowl, could it be constipation???