Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 
MoePaac

Introduction Behavior

I introduced my male betta into a planted tank with four schwartzi corydoras about a half an hour ago. The betta swims up to them every now and then, but they always dart off when he gets too close. At one point, one of the cory's darted quickly at him and then both groups quickly swam off in opposite directions.

I haven't noticed any nipping from either party, but the cory's have stopped their foraging behavior and pretty much stay put until the betta gets too close. Some will continue to forage after a while, but at least one tends to stay mindful of where they are in relation to Pancho (betta). Once he does get too close they again dart off around the driftwood or to the other side of the tank. Pancho is being very active, but again doesn't seem to be flaring or nipping at the cory's.

I feel they are still in the uneasy period where they are dealing with an introduction. As I'm typing, the cory's are going back to their normal behavior, but haven't seen Pancho recently. I'll keep watching for changing behavior, but my question is at what point do I determine if this is too stressful of a change for the cory's? Should I give them until late this evening to see if they become more accustomed to each others presence? Possibly wait until the morning? No aggression at this point... just skittish.

Thanks
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #2 
MoePaac

12 gallon, heated and filtered. Pancho is doing a lot of flaring at his reflection in the glass.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I'd give them a little longer. As long as he's not biting them, chasing should be okay. My four are chased by Tango sometims but it's not stressful to them. They go immediately back to foraging. There's no panting or staying still. And sometimes he rests next to them and they don't run at all. They'll all lay together, four corys and a betta. They seem to know when to run and when not to. He never bites them. I've seen them forage over his tail laying on the substrate and he's fine with it. I think once they realized that he was no threat, just territorial like, they were fine. They've been together for about a year now.

I will say that I have to float Tango in a breeders cup when I feed them, because he can and will bully them for food. So I float Tango in Lee's three way breeder and feed him in there and I let the corys have their food in peace.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote