Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 
JKfish

What do you think of this future tank setup idea?

I have an idea for my next tank, which will be a divided 10 gallon tank. Hopefully it'll be on the main floor, towards the kitchen, so I was thinking about doing a asian food themed tank.

I was thinking the tank would have ricebowls, and white-ish colored 'rice' gravel, with maybe a pair of old (and no longer pointy) chopsticks in each side, resting on ceramic chopstick holders. I might have a small java fern on each side or bamboo (obviously growing partially out of water), or silk ivy, and possibly a small cheap chopping board somewhere.

Everything I'd use should be safe for my fish (if not, tell me!), and easily accessed. my family has a bunch of old rice bowls, which I think I'd be able to use as shallow 'caves', but if my mom doesn't let me use them, I can always buy two of my own. Same with the old worn down chopsticks.

So, wadda you think? Is is interesting and fish safe, or something that makes you sort of cringe and think " D: what sort of sick demented child would think up that for her betta fish?!"
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are you going to name the Betta Sushi...lol

I think your idea sounds neat and would look really pretty and maybe add some grass like plants in the back like sags or vals to look like seaweed and java moss tied to the chop sticks ends or holder would look nice...I like it and look forward to pics when you get it set-up....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #3 
JKfish

XD probably not, though, if I end up getting a red colored fish, I might name him kimchi... but then again, maybe not, seeing as I eat that almost daily ._.;

thanks for the idea. :) If/when I get it set up, pictures will be posted.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #4 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
So, wadda you think? Is is interesting and fish safe, or something that makes you sort of cringe and think " D: what sort of sick demented child would think up that for her betta fish?!"
Yes I would think you are a sick demented child but I confess that the thought of using these ceramic sushi plates (which we never use) for aquarium decor has crossed my mind also hahaha I say go for it!! It would be kind of messed up but amusing nonetheless!

Yeah, it sounds safe to me as long as the chopsticks aren't unfinished wood, which might get moldy (that's what happened when I tried to re-use a pair...yuck).
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #5 
JKfish

XD yes, I guess I am mildly twisted.

The chopsticks are the crappy types you would get with fast food chinese, these are really old, 6 years actually, hand crafted from Korea. They've been through dishwashers, rice, etc, and are still relatively fine. While they're not finished with like a glaze over them, I think it'd almost be like putting driftwood in a tank.

Last edited by JKfish; 07-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #6 
kimotion

I was going to do a sushi theme too! But I got too carried away with plants and other decor, that I just settled for a rock garden theme.

When I was thinking of a sushi or asian food theme, i wanted to use sushi bamboo rolling mats for the dividers:

http://fantes.com/images/4040sushi.jpg
kimotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #7 
JKfish

Hmm, that's a good idea, but I'm not sure the ones my family has or can buy would be tall enough to properly divide the tank, or let the water flow nicely.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #8 
sjones

Yup...very creative, but the big question is what bettas are you going to get!!!??? :D
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote