Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #81 
Little Marlin

now thats a good deal.
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #82 
BlackLabelAxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Sounds good!!! Since you do that, do you happen to know anything about putting a betta in leaded crystal? Is there REALLY lead in there & if so, does it leach out & contaminate the water?

Thanks!
Yes, there's lead in leaded crystal, which is common. It's more unlikely that you'll see leaded crystal glass in the Goodwill store unless you're looking at a container with faces "cut" into the glass. Rough-hewn glass probably isn't leaded crystal, because the primary benefit to adding lead that it makes it softer to cut faces in elaborate pieces. I'd be willing to bet that the $3 piece you pick out won't contain significant lead- and even if it was I'd dispute the danger it poses to bettas.

Some words cause immediate panic, like mercury and lead. Tell people that mercury is found in fish and all of a sudden they think that eating fish will kill you- life will kill you- everything in moderation!

Last edited by BlackLabelAxe; 07-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.
BlackLabelAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #83 
peaches3221

YES! you can use a half gallon tank. my crown tail has lived almost 6 months in a half gallon tank and he's doing great! the important thing is that you do a 100% water change every week. in a small tank, the ammonia levels will go up fast, so you have to keep it very clean! and make sure you keep it covered, or your fish will, believe it or not, jump out! (make sure the cover you use has good ventilation, I've heard you can cut a piece of plastic canvas, available at any craft store, and tape it to the top)
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote